Rear rims on Steel Tank Differences???

Started by t20sl, March 29, 2006, 08:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Would like to have input on types of rims used on 1968-1971 steel tankers.  I have seen ribbed chrome Radaellis (ones with a deep groove around inner edge), normal looking chrome Radaellis (no groove) , and aluminum rims.  Does anyone know what is correct and on what years? thanks, Ted

flattracker23

My 1968 has a shouldered aluminum rim on the back.

Spencer Gaydon
Lubbock, TX

1968 Penton Six-Day 125 Steel Tanker (V 774)
1968 Penton Six-Day 125 Steel Tanker (V 1194)
1972 Penton / Wassell Mudlark Trials Bike (W 397 ST)

rpage11

My two 71's came with ribbed rears and non-ribbed fronts and I think they're original.  Both are Radaeliis.  I've been in touch with this company:
<http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/cwc/rims.html>

They seem very helpful and the cost, including shipping, is about the same as purchasing rims in the US.  I don't know if Radaeliis still make all the various types and I'm also a bit confused.  Some even say the fronts are shouldered Radaeliis, but all I can tell by the pictures I see and talking with Central Wheels is that the width WWO and WW1 might give an appearance of a slight shoulder because it is so narrow.  I went with Akront aluminum shouldered for the first bike.  It was missing so many parts, I wanted to get it back together and really liked the look.  Since then, the second bike has almost all the original parts and I'd like to keep it that way.  I've been studying the rims too and would also appreciate some help and direction.

I'm sure the people here will have a good answer.  Thanks for all the help, couldn't do it anywhere near as nice without you guys.    Reading all these posts, allows me to see all the options available.  Skip
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

Rocket

I have an original 1970 Berkshire and it has shoulderless aluminum rims.
Rocket

t20sl

I just picked up Penton 125 Six days 2 weeks ago and it is a 1971 Steel tanker.  It has ribbed (shouldered) Chrome Radaellis front and back.  I did not believe I ever saw any 69,70,71's with anything but chrome rims at Dad's Penton dealership.  Rocket how sure are you that yours are original to the bike?  What brand are they.  My main question of concern is when did the  shouldered steel replace the non shouldered steel?   Are these shouldered style still available?

OUCWBOY

Having bought two new Pentons back in the day, both the 69 and my 72 Jackpiner both had chrome Radaellis. I don't think they started using aluminum until 73 or 74. My 1974 1/2 Six Day has shoulderless Aluminum front and back. This bike has less than 300 miles on it with the original tires.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Hi Guys, Can anyone tell me if it is cheaper/better to get rims rechromed or buying new? I have a 1970 6day that I will be bringing to life and this happens to be one of the bumps in the road.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  Uncle Ronnie will take care of the bump.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Uncle Ronnie!!Thank You very much!! My son and myself were just having a class on your 125 in the featured bikes.What a beautiful bike.Looks just like the one I raced in the 70's.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler