Factoid on Bing Carburetors

Started by firstturn, April 03, 2006, 11:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

It seems that when people are either restoring or trying to add horsepower to a Penton and/or KTM that came with a Bing Carburetor I get a lot of questions as to if Bing Carburetors are good or should I switch to another brand.  I tell people to use what you feel comfortable with and don't think that Bings are just junk.  After all Bings are used on cetain small air planes with Rotax engines and there is no parking places when you are at 2000 feet[:0].

So I just thought I would direct everyone to a great article on setting up and/or trouble shooting, in this case Bing, carburetors in general.  I would print this and keep it handy when you have problems.  I know it will make me feel like the Maytag repair person not having to answer these questions anymore.  I hope you enjoy this and that it helps you have more fun with getting the most out of your bikes performance.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/enginetroublshooting/techtips/techtips2.htm

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Gavin Housh

Ron you can add BMW motorcycles to the list of bikes built with Bing carbs on them. I think most of us know how reliable BMW's are. Gavin

tmc3c

Oh No Ron!! You are not into ULTRALIGHTS too are you?[:p]

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Only the engines.........

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tmc3c

Whew!!!:DThanks for the tip on the Bing I just copied it.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

firstturn

Thomas,
  It is a well written article.  I find a lot of times when people call for help they are looking at the hard to fix angles and no the easy fix items.  I hope it helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Rain Man

Very nice web site Ron, thanks.  I've always have had good luck with Bings and unfortunately, gotten my butt smoked to many times by Rotax:(.
  Seems like the biggest problem I've always had with the Bings was getting that float level right, the first time with a new installation.  
 Now 35 years later, searching for a non smiley slides a drag.
 I cant believe the worn out slides I've seen, boughten and also used on bikes.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Doug Wilford

Ray:
Call Bing for your air slide  1-800-309-2464.    Make sure you have the carb model number.   It is stamped in the body someplace.
Have fun!
Doug

slvrbrdfxr

I called Bing inquiring about a slide for my Jackpiner carb a few months ago. They do not have any more in stock for that carb and no plans to make new ones due to the high cost. They did have a few that would fit the 250 Hare Scrambler carbs and they were quite proud of them. Think they quoted me $125 plus shipping. OUCH !! Hope to get back to working on my 250 soon to see if I'll need one.
Dave McCullough

OUCWBOY

Dave,
And to think, I was told I was crazy when I asked $20.00 for a NOS slide I had a few months ago. I should have held out for more. LOL I felt bad so I sold it to him for $10.00........... did they get a great deal or what???

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

slvrbrdfxr

Donny,
The guy you sold the slide to got a great deal for sure !! Got anymore you want to sell for $10 ?? :D:D
Dave McC

hrbay

Hey all, has anyone tried recoating an old :) slide with epoxy or some other material to renew the seal. I have done some other repairs with epoxy that were exposed to fuel with no ill effex, so what do ya' think. This could extend the useable life of many slides.

GC
GC

firstturn

GC,
  Good point on the suggestion of coating old slides.  I have sold all my machine shop tools since the Doctors don't want me getting metal accidently under my skin.  So I really don't have the tools to experiment.  Two other ways of possibly accomplishing making old slides useable is to nerl (or cross hatch) them or have them chromed.  Just thinking out loud.  When we talk about the expense of Bing parts don't go into a motorcycle store and think other parts for carburtors are that less expensive.  I bought a needle/seat and main jet for a new carb and it was $25.00 retail.....[:0].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tlanders

I love Bings because when new, they are much faster than Mikunis. However, they cost way too much to fix and I have bought new expensive slides and had them wear out after one year of racing. Therefore, I have replaced all my Bings with the next size bigger Mikunis on all the vintage bikes, pre 1975, and am replacing the Bings and Mikunis with Lectrons on the 1975 or newer bikes. On my Mint 400, I put a bored out to 39.2mm Mikuni by Pro Flow. It hauls!!!! On my 1984 250 MXC KTM, the Lectron allowed me to get the hole shot last weekend against mostly 440 and 490 machines. I passed a 490 Maico in Phoenix on the straight with the Lectron. I'm sold.

Teddy

Rain Man

Teddy, I agree with you on the Lectron. I had a bunch of repairs to do on my 76 MC5 this past winter, and one of them:  the leaky sorta old Lectron.  I finally got the pieced up clutch, rebuilt Zokes, front and rear, a straight swing arm and I'll be a SOB, the thing fired first kick :D. That Penton cooks ~~ yee ha (say "good for you"  here)  :D

Now back to the Bings.  the slides I've seen and also looked at this past weekend appeared to be worn... all to one side of the slide.   :(   One area the slide was paper thin and razor sharp :( and of course the smily face.  I'm not sure if this could be repaired either by machining or chroming or.. whateva Yankee ingenuity arises !!

The replacement slides from Bing and xxxx < i believe have no choke slot and the idle screw wont raise the slide. I guess this subject with the  175 Bing carb slide is  at this point is "good luck"

Those rare Penton parts are out there, be patient and destiny will come your way !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons