72 Piner Wiring Question

Started by KJDonovan, April 02, 2006, 05:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Greetings,

I am in the process of wiring up my 72 Jackpiner and have what I hope is not a stupid question, but wiring is certainly not my specialty.  So here goes; In the buckets and boxes of parts that I started with (this pup was a true basket case) there was no on / off high-beam / lo-beam switch and I was not able to locate an original anywhere.  I found a decent after market unit that is an on / off , high-beam / lo-beam and kill switch all in one.  On this unit there is only one wire labeled power.  On my motoplat I have a separate lead for each, the tail light, high beam, and lo-beam.  My question is do I;

Wind all three leads from the motoplat together and connect them to the power lead on the switch?  
OR
Just run one of the leads from the motoplat and connect them to the power lead on the switch?  
OR do something else.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

KD

Oh yea, one other question that I had posted in the past and was never able to an answer to is; Does anyone know where to mount the brake light switch on a Jackpiner?  I realize that in 72 this was not part of the enduro kit, but I need to have a brake light to be legal in RI and can't seem to find a spot to mount this.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rain Man

Kevin, whatever you do, dont wind all 3 wires together or its gonna be a 300 + $$$ proposition for you. This is what i can tell you  without  having the actual switch in my hand.  blue/black  for the coil and to kill the engine you ground out one side of the coil. (usually blue).  
yellow = headlite  green = stoplite  white = tail light.

be careful, these old motoplats dont take much to short out.  if you have a multi tester of some sorts, you might want to check the out put of the head lite  its AC voltage  and usually all over the place.
 6 volts dont normally apply with these 35 + Y/O motoplats :(

hope this helps:

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

TGTech

Kevin,

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of information regarding the proper wiring of one of the switch assemblies, because we didn't use them on our race machines anyway. But I can provide some information regarding the Motoplat hook up.

As Rain Man mentioned, you don't want to connect all three of the stator light wires together, as that will toast the stator. The output of the Motoplat Mini 6 stators, was 6V, but at 6K RPM. At 10K, you would get about 9V.

The way that we used the lighting, was to power both the headlight and tail light, off the yellow wire and use 12V bulbs. We would run them hot all the time, because they seemed to last longer if they were on.

I do know that when Eric Jensen and Carl Cranke rode their machines in Baja, they needed more power to light a higher wattage headlight. The ran the yellow wire to the hot side of a 55W halogen bulb and then used the green wire as the ground for the light. While this was not sanctioned by Motoplat, it worked for them for the whole length of the 1000.

Dane