Spoke Angle?

Started by imported_n/a, April 05, 2006, 09:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, how critical is spoke angle (pre-drilled holes) when shopping for used rims? Should one look for rims that have come from similar size hubs? Thanks,

chris h.

Kip Kern

Spoke angle is very important.  Try to find rims that are the same as yours when placed side by side.  The rim spoke angle is determined by the hub measurement. Hub width = spoke center to spoke center, and Hub height = spoke center to spoke center.  If you have a full width hub, or straight hub, you have two measurements(1 width/1 height) and if your hubs are conical you will have three measurements(1 width and 2 heights)!  I try to never buy rims from Ebay or any other place unless I can place a original rim beside the one being considered.;)

wildman

when I used to do Wheelsmith cross6 wheel lacing,  one side had a much greater angle on one side than stock. Instructions were to take a drill bit/ drill and lay the angle back in the rim. This worked well in moderate cases so it IS possible to accomodate slightly different angles. You certainly want the spoke to go the same way as the original pattern but you can get away with small amounts and not look goofy, (The wheel; I always look goofy!) Just MHO. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

VICTOR MONZ

Buchanan in So. California does a great job on the proper angle for just about any hub, wheel and spokes.  Excellent wrok.

FYI

OUCWBOY

I have used stainless steel spokes from Buchanan's and they have always been perfect.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR