Slipping kickstarter

Started by John Ehrhart, May 01, 2006, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Ehrhart

I have a Sachs B motor In which I have just replaced the kick start shaft.
Without having previous problems, upon reassembly, when kicking, the lever loses friction like the clutch is slipping.
Oh, and it doesn't return really well, either, so I may not have put enought tension on the return spring.
What dumb thing have I done wrong?
Or multiple dumb things.
Okay, it's a Monark, but they're cousins!

John
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

john durrill

John ,
 It can be several things. Remove the primary on the clutch side and take the shifter shaft off. Does the kicker still not engage and the return of the kicker  weak and slow?
How far did you rotate the kick shaft when you installed the kick return stop? Where did you place the kick return spring end in the ratchet wheel ? Where did you place the other end of the spring in the tabs of the right side engine center case? Did you check the shimming on the parts inside the center cases that slide on the kick shaft? If you over wind the spring when installing the kick starter stop the spring will distort and it needs to be replaced. ( No more than 3/4 of a full turn on the rotation)
 Let us know so the group can help.
John D.

John Ehrhart

John,
Thanks for the input.
It's been about a month since reassembly, and I just got around to the point I could try to start it. I don't recall even changing the spring location. What I do know is that my trans adjustment came out really well--perhaps too well and is causing a bind. Is that possible? It does engage, but just occasionally cranks the engine over.  Will check it over with your suggestions in mind and let you know what I find this evening.
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

dkwkid

I'll bet your clutch is slipping.Pull the access plug off the sidecase(the one towards the center) and check for slack. Even though the cable has play the actuator could still be too tight. When you get a chance, trade the Monark for a DKW! Just kidding.:D

John Ehrhart

You guys are great!
I have never adjusted the clutch internally in the thirty-four years I've owned this bike, but that was it!
The third kick, it started.
Thanks,

John
--Johnny Carson