32 MM Ceraini - Fork Spring Length

Started by KJDonovan, May 09, 2006, 01:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJDonovan

Does anyone know the correct length fork springs should be for a 72 Jack Piner with 32MM Ceriani forks?  Mine seem to be kind of dead (not springing back) and I need to know how long they were when they were new to order a new pair. I am guessing the ones I have are permanently compressed after spending 25 years in a field.

Thanks In Advance,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

John Ehrhart

Before we got so technical and wise, I used to stretch mine back to length on my Jackpiner, every few months!
\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

rob w

Kevin,

I don't have an actual measurment of the free length, but generally a rule of thumb on most forks, the spring length is near the top of the stanchion tube, or a 1/2" below.

Rob

Rain Man

Kevin, another little trick we use on these tired old fork springs is to add a 1/2"-1"  +/-   or more of "preferably plastic" spacer to beef up the spring tension.  I could get you the measurement, but I'd have to take that particular bike all apart, and the fork springs are 1973's vintage anyway.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

KJDonovan

Guys,

Thanks for the advice, I think for now I'll try Rays suggestion and make up a couple of spacers and give that a shot before I get new springs.

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler