Siege's new KTM

Started by SIEGE, May 18, 2006, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIEGE

OK Boys

It's official- I'm one of you... I think.
Finally I picked up a real bike. Hitherto I have almost no Penton/KTM knowledge, so steer me right here. I know it's rough, but it runs and the critical parts seem to be there-

http://www.siegecraftnw.com/KTM-new-on-May14-06.jpg

-SIEGE

Rocket

Great find, looks like you have a little bit of work ahead of you.  I like the way the seat is held on.
Rocket

tmc3c

Siege,She is rough but she looks to be all there!Except for the rear fender.I know the guys here will be glad to help!!One step at a time,mine looked rough also when I started.Good Luck!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

I think she's a beaut...I've started with much worse.

First thing to decide is: if she's going to be a rider or a show piece. That's how you'll determine the type of resto to do.

Personally, I say make it a rider....nothing is more satisfying than fixing one up and then take it out and ride it as it was intended to be ridden....in other words, take her out and get her dirty.

Good luck
Steve
Steve Minor

SIEGE

Well Cool- I'm pretty psyched. This one just came along, right when I wasn't expecting it, as they often do- I want to do it right- the frame is pretty rusty- and I have a notion to sandblast it and get a proper paint job, or POR15 or whatever y'all think is cool-

I will not being putting it on ice- there is nothing more miserable for a Race Bike than keeping it away from the Track. That would be like freezing a perfect meal instead of enjoying it. Race Bikes want to run, like horses, and this one is gonna fly.

so I have a zillion questions:
1) the pipe looks modified, and heavy- what pipe ought I get?
2) Seat?
3) fenders on both ends

-cj

thrownchain

Hey, welcome to the "group". Being a relatively new Penton owner myself, I'll let you know that this is a good group of people. Everyone that I've delt with so far has been very helpful, and really no question goes unanswered. And there are no stupid questions, if you need to know something...ASK, somebody will step up and help. Good luck..[^]

tomale

Thanks to every for helping my friend, I was over at his houselooking at it on Monday. I will do what I can from this end but I am sure that he can use all the help he can get:DI am getting  exicted to see how this thing turns out....By the way, siege is pretty fast on two wheels. So I am sure that his bike will be ridden the way it was intended to be ridden.... fast[^]
Most everything that he needs in the way of parts is being reproduced so from that stand point it should be easy... the money thing is something altogether a different problem... any of you guys seen any of his amazing art work or his Vintage Motocross T shirts.. They are very cool and well worth adding to anyones collection...I say this because Seige is a Graphic artist and makes his money to live by the stroke of his hand. On top of all that he spends huge amount of time each week promoting and supporting vintage racing here in the Northwest. He is an Asset to our community..[8D]

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

deek

Welcome Siege

Get it ready for Goldendale!!!! Just kidding. But we'll see you there I'm sure.
Thom see you there also. Oh by the way, did you get the piston off??

Dale

SIEGE

do we normally sign wityh all our bikes, or just th Pentons? There's a lot of scrolling past Yamahas.... anyway Thom & I have gone to the races together a number of times- even gone around the National on a Sidecar together- wore us out !

Thom- thanks for the kind words - and also to everyone here

artists have to be shameless in their self-promotion:
so if anyone here hasn't seen the very coolest racing shirts on earth, (or doesn't believe it) check this out:
http://www.siegecraftnw.com/siegeshirts.htm

SIEGE

DKWRACER

Siege, welcome to the land of POG. Am very glad to have another Artisan in the "hood"....For some wild looks, please have a look at my website under Suppliers (middle of page), and if you need something, please be sure to let me know. Pentons are really special!
BTW, great work on the website of yours.....the mind is a terrible thing to waste.
Once again, welcome, and Thom G.....wish we were neighbors [:p]

Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Big Mac

The exciting part about Mr. CJ's new project and jump into the Austrian/Ohio brand is that we'll get to witness the evolution and hear of the adventures of this here steed and it's master over time. Siege has a great flair for storytelling and relating in pictures and words the experiences of old-guy vintage racing and wrenching. And our Vintage Dirt Racing NW website-- http://www.siegecraftnw.com/VDR.htm ...webmaster-Siege-- is a great forum, always interesting, great action pics and great commentary and stories, in addition to the general race results.

So you had Poison Lil (Yammie 360MX), what's the plan for naming this new offspring Siege? Something poetic, maybe Austrian, or maybe something in honor of Moiseev and the '74 Russian victory in the GP? How about Karl Marx? Or to really rile the Cousin Weedy crew, how about "The Falta-Nator"?  Problem with that is you'd have all the CZ400 fast guys gunning for you in every corner.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

tomale

Seige, your welcome, and Tom were are neighbors.... sort of, only a few states away.... Got to figure out a way for us to ride together again, I so enjoy your company... and the bikes you build..
I have got to get some time to help my buddy Terry build his yellow tanker...I think we are getting close to having everything we need. It will not be a pretty boy bike but it should run and look great.
funny how just 3 years ago there were only a few guys up this way with our beloved Pentons now quite a few more, Go Northwest Pentons!
Mac and I plan to ride ours this weekend at a 1 hour GP. should be fun if it does not get too hot, Last year the Temps were in the mid 90's and not a tree in sight, It was so hot I could not drink water fast enough to even attempt to get cooled down, by night fall I was feeling better as the wind kicked up and it cooled down a bit. Should be cooler this time around.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Lew Mayer

Don't worry Seige. My Six-Day started out as forks and a frame.:D

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Big Mac

Doing my part for Penton/KTM restoration and preservation...

I've donated one (1) good condition fiberglass seat pan to Siege's
"Falta-Nator" project bike, in exchange for one (1) artful and well-designed XL size t-shirt from the summer '06 Siege collection. http://www.siegecraftnw.com/siegeshirts.htm

Mr. Siege was on fire last Saturday in our H&T 1-hr + 1-lap vintage GP event, laying siege (ha!) to the field and taking a strong 2nd place--behind an ex-factory rider, no less. He powered through the ironman event on a beastly looking late-'70s Yamaha 465 IT (for shame). With a finely tuned Pen/KTM cross country machine, just think what he might do!
Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

SIEGE

Hey Boys
it's taken me a week to get back- I spent 4 days trying to get the results up for Hammer & Tongs, and then the Shirt for Hannegan  Raceway- and finally Monday HAD to get away from the computer and go be quiet in my shop and work on the KTM.

So... I pulled the head off, but when it came time to take off the (rare uncut) sidecover, the lowest recessed bolt was stripped out, so with some growling I got to the Surgery. All the Nurses refused to help, so it was me alone. I was doing my best not to ruin the Mag Cover, and after an hour of drilling gingerly, it came off....

hey Jon- thanks for the kind words about my unexpected GP success- that bike is really awesome....

here's a photo:
http://www.hellbentracing.com/YZ465-H106-GP.htm

but I want to race this KTM on at least one of the Cross Country Rounds....

-SIEGE