wheel lacing

Started by imported_n/a, June 18, 2006, 08:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

POG, don't have any experience (yet) lacing up a wheel and in the interest of time I plan to farm out the work this time, but have a couple questions please -  

I've got my hands on a decent 36/18 akront with the exception of one thing, the spoke pattern (holes) are the exact mirror image opposite of my current pattern. Will this work? After staring at it for some time I can't see why not! There also seems to be a little extra room drilled for angle adjustment. I even shoved 4 spokes in, wired them up to stay in place, and the angle/pattern looks right!?!

Also, this is for a 74 Six Day, is it called a cross 2 or cross 4 pattern?

thanks, Chris H.

Doug Wilford

The 74s or most all CMFs with full hubs used a cross 4 pattern, some early Steel Tankers had a cross 3 pattern.
Have Fun!

imported_n/a

Mr. Wilford, thx for the speedy reply!!  For question 1 of 2 though, do you think the exact (mirror image) opposite pattern will work?  Or is this a strange question??

Chris H.

t20sl

Chris:  I am confused by what you mean exact mirror image.  Do you mean that the conical part of the hub is on the oposite side of the bike?  If so it will work fine as you just flip rim over to lace up to your hub.  If it is something other please go into more detail and I will try and help.  Ted

Rain Man

I'm recollecting from a wheel lacing experience from 1978ish on my JPees cracked rear hub.  I'm not positive it applies here to the "mirror image" or not.  But I laced a wheel up ack basswards and when I started to ride it.. The spokes all came loose. Relentlessly !!
  I ended up tearing it all back down and lacing the new hub up the other way.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

linglewn

I'm not sure about this mirror image and backward business. The drilling of the rim will determine the lacing pattern and spoke length. The pattern established by the drilling of the rim should not be changed. Place a spoke into one of the holes in the rim and screw on the nipple. Press the nipple with your thumb and it will point in the direction that it is drilled to be laced. If you have the correct length spokes, you can continue lacing the inside spokes on both sides and then do the same for the outside spokes. Hope this helps.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

imported_n/a

O.k guys, I figured it out. Sorry for any confusion. The rim is definitely drilled in the opposite direction and clearly for a wider hub. Facing either direction the staggered raised areas for the nipples are all drilled left to left and right to right whereas those areas on my old Radelli are drilled left to right and right to left. If you can envision it you'd agree! So...I'll put this to rest, it ain't gonna fit. It probably fits a conical hub.

As always thanks for the replies, more nutty questions to come I'm sure[:p]

Chris out -

imported_n/a

POG, I'm gonna try this again 'cause I'm still stumped? This question caused a little confusion before, but I wanna make sure of the answer before I pay to have my wheels laced. O.K., here goes: I have acquired 6 akront rims to replace rusted radaellis. Of the six, the 2 best rims are drilled in the exact opposite cross 4 pattern from my radaellis. Go with me on this please... Holding a radaelli rim next to the akront and focused on a pattern of 4 holes, where spoke 1 is angled to the right on the Radaelli, it is angled to the left on the Akront, and so on with spokes 2, 3 & 4, left, right, left. Since I'm dealing with an even number of holes and not an odd number (cross 3 pattern), simply flipping the wheel over won't do it. Same applies when you flip it over. Am I nuts here or does this matter? I don't think it will be a problem, the spokes will just alternate on opposite sides of the hub but when finished should have the same effect. This question is directed to full hubs and not conical. I've learned to recognize the conically drilled rims and those are out, of course. Rainman had replied earlier in this post to say he had laced one up in some manner years ago that made the wheel come apart. Not sure if he had the same issue but I want to make certain. I welcome your questions for clarifation and/or replies. I'd like to get this show on the road![xx(]

Thanks, Chris

p.s., any other thoughts on the TIG welding? Three of the akronts are in like new shape but all have a small crack at same exact spot, the factory joint starting at the bead edge, about 3/8" long. These cracks are very small and this bike will not be a racer. To weld or not to weld, that is the question.

linglewn

Let's try this again. Your set of four holes should alternate left/right/left/right etc until you return to the first hole. If you are looking at right/left/right/left, why not move around one hole? The big question is: do the holes on the left side of the rim angle out toward the left flange on the hub? It sounds like you are saying that it angles toward the right flange on the hub. I have never seen one made this way. I have Radelli, DID, Honda (conical hub), and DKW and they all go left-to-left and right-to-right. If yours are different, it will affect your spoke length and put more side load on the hub flanges. Good luck.

If you are worried about the cracks, have a good welder look at it.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

firstturn

Nelson,
  Thanks for explaining in words what I was thinking....Chris, Nelson has a good way of explaining this situation.  Now, Nelson do you do Go Kart Engines(-: ?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

linglewn

Ron,
Not in a long time. You'll need some good Hysol epoxy for making your full circle crank, stuffing the crankcase, and "directing" the transfer ports on your Macs. With a lot of work, experimenting, and luck they can be made to run really strong. Take care.

Nelson Lingle
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

Rain Man

Hoo Boy Chris, I laced that wheel up ackbasswords back in 1976.  It was on a 73 JP and I remember when I started ridng it the spokes just would not stay tight.  One of the fellas @ new England Sports Cycles noticed that I had it laced up the wrong way.
  And they say we dont forget our mistakes...

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

hrbay

I think the "rule" on the wind up with the spokes is to have the inner "up and down spokes" rotating toward the direction of rotation on the sprocket side, this loads the hub against the rim, ...  the outer "side to side spokes" go in the reverse direction. The pairs reverse on the other side.

GC
GC