PROJECT MID-OHIO LIVE!

Started by Larry Perkins, July 27, 2006, 07:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Pogonites,

Did my own pet peeve and posted a general in the For Sale.  Brain Fart!  Anyway, on the way to Mid-Ohio with the laptop that sucks the internet out of the air.  Scary thought for my low tech mind.  The idea is to post Live from Mid-Ohio for those that can't go.  Who knows maybe we can get the man to post something.  Gotta go for now but will try to post from the AMA museum and the front gate later today.  Later!

Larry P

Steve Minor

What a great idea....

I'm here stuck in NC, unable to attend. Thanks Larry!

Steve
Steve Minor

tofriedel

Larry,

Looking forward to reading your posts on Mid Ohio.  Like Steve, I am stuck in MD this weekend.

Enjoy!

Tony
Tony

tmc3c

Thank You Larry!! I will be checking for your updates!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

To The Poggonese,

Today did not go as planned so thus the late report.  Did not make it to the front gate today as the Monkey Mobile had probs.  We lost all the positions on the PRNDL except drive and we were having to jump the solenoid to get it to start.  The first time we did this it was supposedly in Park.  After firing up it took off without driver across the Wndys parking lot.  Luckily the copilot dove for the floorboard and got the brake.  We drove it that way to the AMA museum, found a good flat spot with forward take-off in the parking lot, and crawled underneath.  A linkage was loose and a clip that held it on had broken.  After some eyeing and calculating the linkage was put back on and the clip was replaced by the metal thingy that connects to the gas tank chain and stays in the tank of Penton motorcycles.  It was appropriately bent with needlenose and vice grips of course.  Shifted and started like a dream.  If your dream is an old Uhaul with a low geared rear end diesel anyway.

Then it was in to the AMA museum.  Everyone of you must see the Motocross in America exhibit.  It is wonderful and a Must Do!  At 6PM we got the treat we came for:the ribbon cutting of the new Super Mann exhibit with many Dick Mann bikes, pics, and memoriabilia.  Did I mention that Dick himself cut the ribbon and gave a great speech about how those great moments and period in time we fondly look back on is captured in the exhibits in Pickering at the museum.  It was emotional. Did you now that Dick was in the top ten in the Grand National points 16 out of 19 Professional seasons, including his last in 1973 at the age of 39?  Many other cool dudes attended such as Jeff Smith and Gary Scott.

We then cruised North towards our true hunting ground Mid-Ohio.  We last moment scored a room just 20 minutes from the track.  It sprinkled most of the day on and off.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better.  Pet your Pentons tonight men as they will begin to feel the disturbance in the force as the clan come together to time travel back for a bit.  Wish you were here and hope you come next time!  Tomorrow we take the gate.

Larry P

firstturn

Larry,
  Thanks for the update.  Keep us posted.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Larry Perkins

Yesterday part way through the day the sun came out and it got hot.  At least no mud in the MX today.  Loos lie dust and rocs, lots of them.  Saw a guy at Jim Pomeroys class roll off a roc coming out of a corner and bust his behind.  There was Vintage trials, a trials exhibition, a streetbike stunt show, the swapmeet, the swapmeet, and the swapmeet.

At the POG tent there were many members and stories were flowing.  Doug Wilford told me a great one about the Penton with a Puch motor that was being looked at by KTM along with the Sachs motor in the beginning.  The Puch motored Penton went to LeRoy Winters and he broke a couple of things which made it not the choice as John new the Sachs bies from the ISDT.  Bob Andersohn had a beautiful example of the Puch/Penton on display.  It was restored by ip ern which says enough for all who now.  Museum quality!  Well gotta go do MX wars.  Will try to fire this thing up at the POG meeting later today and see if some will share.  Be good.

Larry P

imported_n/a

Larry, Ditto Ron C., thanks so much for the news! Wish I was there.

cheeterman

don howard

Hi Larry :  Gee what a nice member to be thinking of us at home that couldn,t make Mid Ohio for one reason or another. looking for more on the event, Thanks again Larry. Guys like you make belonging to POG enjoyable.   Don Howard

eddie

who wants to buy a 1976 ktm 400 gs6? Talk price, needs to go!

thrownchain

That Puch powered Penton earned Kip the Ted Penton award. Very nice unit that may not have been seen, if not for Kip. Dedication.