Skid Plates ?

Started by Keith May, August 12, 2006, 11:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith May

I'm looking for aftermarket skid plates for a couple of my Penton's. It's pretty rocky in the areas that I ride and I would never forgive myself if I bashed in a crankcase or bent up a frame loop. I've had to ride fairly easy in fear of doing damage (primarily to the bikes as I can heal up). I've got a '72 Six Days and a '77 GS400. Anybody know of an aftermarket manufacturer for these plates specifically for Penton's? Has anybody had any success in modifying one of the newer plates for these older frames? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Keith

t20sl

Keith:  If your any good at fabrication, find a local plastics supplier and get a piece of HDPE or UHMW (stronger) about 3/16" thick.  It is white to opaque white in color.  Cut out a cardboard template then cut it out of the plastic.  Fab some clamps to screw it too.  These work good and you can drill large holes (hole saw) to lighten and let mud out.  Can be bent with help of a little heat.  Test with scarp you cut in oven but as I remember it takes about 200-225 degrees to soften it. Have never broken one.