1980 KTM 420 restore to original or modify?

Started by sachsmx, May 25, 2006, 12:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Hi all,
I am beginning the rebuild of my 1980 KTM 420, MC80. I have many NOS parts and plan to rebuild the engine as well. My question is am I better off to rebuild it to nearly 100% original or do I modify it for racing? I have a set of Husky 40mm forks/clamps/front wheel with DLS brake that would be a big improvement over the stock set up. Other possible mods would be mainly cosmetic such as polished alloy, orange hubs, etc. Plastic, seat and graphics will remain stock.
Making the decision more difficult is the fact I plan to sell the bike after it is completed as I have a bad left knee and foot, both of which will require joint replacements sooner or later, maybe even this winter. The doc says to give up riding because when I ride for 2 hours I can barely walk for 2 days. I kind of like walking and being able to live life in general so I will sell my bikes. What would you guys do?

John Ehrhart

\\"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.\\"
--Johnny Carson

lksseven

Hi Sachsmx,

What do you think about getting a street bike to tool around on?  Might make life easier on your knees and still feed your soul.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time