Six Days Restoration and Rust

Started by jay cohen, August 11, 2006, 09:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

I'm restoring my '72 Six Days I bought from Doug Wilford at Mid Ohio this past July.  The engine was rebuilt by Doug so the hardest part is done. I'm doing a complete re-painting plus the usual stuff. One of the many cool things in restoring this bike is that I get to use the original Hi Point grease in its Hi Point container I bought in '73 when I raced a Jackpiner. I do want to keep the chrome Radaelli wheels but they are rusted up pretty badly.  Is Navel jelly still the best to use for rust or has anything else come on the market that is better?  thanks, Jay

Doug Wilford

Jay:  Welcome to the message board.   Don't be afraid to ask questions,as this message board is moniterd by a great bunch of guys.  I can't answer the one on Navel Jelly and rust but I am sure there is someone lurking out here that can.   It was nice meeeting you and your Dad at Mid-ohio.
Have Fun!
Doug

cubfan1968

Jay welcome aboard. On my 72 Six Day rider the front rim was pretty rugged, so my thought was to hit the auto parts stores buy some miracle cures and rub away the rust. After alot of elbow grease I said to heck with it (well maybe not those exact same words). I decided to scope out a better rim and with the help of Larry Perkins I got one at a good price. On my other 72 I started over and bought some new rims from Walridge.

I know I didn't answer your Navel Jelly question but I think there are alot of options out there for rims that will keep your polishing arm out of a sling.

Good luck your going to have a blast with your Penton.

Rod Whitman
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

lksseven

Hi Jay,

Welcome.

Last winter, I restored a 74 6day, and the rims were rusted (along with spoke nipples).  I sent the rims to Altas Chrome in Houston TX, and they chromed the rims for $130 each.  In this pic, see the result (the spokes and nipples I had cadmium coated).
http://www.wordcom.com/penton/dsc00631.jpg
http://www.wordcom.com/penton/dsc00635.jpg

Good luck!

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time