THE GEEK FACTOR OF ANAL RESTORE

Started by Larry Perkins, August 22, 2006, 08:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdazed

Larry,Please don't take this the wrong way.The racing talk section post on my dog Mert certainly does not belong there,but i started the post as a note to say i was selling some race bikes.It should have been in the wanted/for sale section.As you know it then took on a life of its own.I figured i kind of owed it to those interested to keep them informed.after i thanked everyone i tried to remove it and post offline to those that ask,but was unable to.I'll attempt to remove it again and start a post elsewhere on his progress (or lack of).I understand your frustration and i'm really sorry-i was afraid something like this might happen a long time back.We've dealt with each other and talked a few times and i respect you and your opinion a lot.Sincerly,Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Larry Perkins

Ric,

Please don't remove the thread especially on my account.  It is very touching and animals have been some of my best friends.  I feel for you.  They just don't live long enough and pull at our heart strings.  I just used it as example.  You are great and I hope all goes well for Mert.  You could Start a new thread in General-"The Mert Report".  I would smile reading it and keeping up.  

Larry P

gooddirt

When I build bikes for racing the bike can be any color combo on any given race year. The only stock parts would be the major components. The purpose of the bike is to win races, its not real pretty all of the time. When I do a restore I base it on a factory color sales brochure for that year of bike .Myself ,it has to be done as close to stock or SPOT-ON if I   have all the parts to get it that way. Restores should be done in this way as to keep up the bikes value after the investments.[:0]

Paul Danik

The "wrong" blue color gas tank on Jack Penton's ISDT machine, that Larry mentioned in his opening post, was actually the correct color of the Team Penton ISDT machines in the years that I was involved with the Team.  All of the Team Penton machines had blue gas tanks, airboxes and numberplate/airbox covers. I guess blue was chosen as it matched the blue of the Team USA helmets.

Many guys have commented over the years as to how they really appreciate the fact that they can ask any question about their Penton on this website and never get the feeling that it was a dumb question, that is a wonderful compliment, and one that I hope we continue to be worthy of.

Paul

tomale

I agree, At first I was going to reply and then as I continued to read I thought better of the idea, then I finally decided that I would reply.... why, well because I happen to like Larry very much, and I know my friend comes off a bit strong from time to time but I also know that he always thinks about what he says and so I figure it is worth reading, now I am not here to defend him, I am sure that he is more that capable of doing that for himself... I am not much of a purest when it comes to restoring bikes, though I do try to make it at least close, I would probably never build a purple tank six day but if some one whats to... who am I to say they can't... I for one enjoy reading all the posts and I have learned so much, I think it is kind of funny that I know so much more about the bike I ride than what was available when I bought it new... heck, I wanted a service manual and had to wait almost 28 years before I could get one....I have said this before but I am pretty sure that I wouldn't be riding now if it was not for this forum... I probably would have sold the bike off for a couple hundred bucks and that would have been the end of it... late last year I was struggling with what to do with my 76 MC5, should I restore it comepletely or should I sell it, I did neither... I decided to keep it the way it is.... I have been riding and racing it as close to the way that I rode and raced it back "in the day" I decided that this too needed to be preserved. I am sure that many will not understand that but then I did not do it for them but for those who will come later, I happen to believe that we are not just preverving a bike but an era as well.. and the matter of the fact is that alot of the bikes did not stay in stock trim. This last weekend I was at FreedomFest, it is a christian festival that is mostly about music but over the last few years it has taken on a new image... This year we had Ryan Capes and a few other Extreme sports freestyle...motocross type stuff, It was very cool and I got to help with and assit them as they went about doing there thing.... As a result of that I met one of the guys that is sponsored by a KTM shop, I told him about my bikes and he thought it was pretty cool so I brought it down for them to see, I put it on a stand and went about my duties, a couple of hours later a man came up to me and wanted to know about my bike, he was the owner of the KTM shop, he wanted to know if it was completely stock or not... as if that was really all that important.... In a way it is... it represents the way a bike in that era would have been raced, it may not be stock but it is historically correct.... Everything on that bike is exactly the way it would have been raced... right down to the shocks, they are not just historically correct but are in fact the shocks I rode way back when, I have rebuilt them since then but they are correct. This is not always possible and on my regular race bike I do have a set of shocks that more than likely do work better than anything that was available back then, but that is another story altogether... I for one would like to see more bikes that represent the bikes as they were actually riden. I think they play an important role in the preservation of a Marque... Epecially when you realize that change for the sake of improving the brand was and as far as I can see is still a foundational value that made Penton the great sportcycle that it is.....Ok I will get off my soapbox....:D

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

bentrims

Go PENTON....no matter which flavor you choose! Just dont laugh at my blue fendered 73-125 unless you got the mud to back it up!
Tom B

firstturn

Larry,
  I know that the site has changed, but so have I.  I am older and tend to set back a little and enjoy seeing the transition that THE PENTON LIFE is going through.  I have had many personalized race bikes and actually the bike I built for myself, after my stay in the hospital, is the one I always wanted in the "the day".  It is the white Berkshire 100 on this months Penton calender.  Back then I didn't have the time or money to build it so I now own my special bike now.

As far as the restoration side I enjoy the questions of right bolt where and where does this fit type post.  It gives us ALL a chance to be a Friend and or make a new Friend for someone who is trying to achieve a goal of having a Penton the way they want.  As far as you pointing out the changes and how things are different I think it is health that we are changing and who knows next year at this time it may go back to more racing posts....I don't know what the future holds.  But I do know that I have met and continue to meet some of the nicest most helpful people by being a active participate on this site.

So that is where I am going to leave it...we are changing and I have seen this in other area such as antique cars so embrace it and enjoy it because as one of my best friends told me a while back about life..."this isn't no dress rehersal".  So with the time I have left I am going to try to embrace the fun of life and if change happens I will try to make the most of it.[8D]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

farmer58za

I'm getting in on this late.

I acquired my '75 GS 250 with race history AND all the original parts like fenders, headlight etc. in a box. The bike had been raced with PP plastics and headlight but (to my horror) the owner had tossed them out, wanting to restore it back to stock.

I've since sourced new PP stuff to restore to "as raced".

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

sixdazed

Larry,I'll try and do that.Being as computer lame as i am it may take a bit to figure out.Who got the Pentaha?just wondering...Thanks, Ric
Crash-would love to see those old pics,if you don't post em' email me.
ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Rain Man

recently I posted a thread about  a Vintage Hare scramble happening up here in Somers Conneticut,(New England)  and I'll be a Sum Bee, nobody responded. :(
The Nutmeg Ramblers went out of their way to have a Vintage friendly Hare Scramble, and not 1 "ya I'll be there"  from the Penton fellas in the North East.
   Well I know there will be some other competent Penton riders there, seeing the Nutmegs Pres is a true blued Penton addict.
  Myself, I have a GS 400 just dialed in with  new everything except the frames painted orange and it has acerbis bark busters, and I just hope I dont rip the Brand new Penton seat up.
 Dont get behind this Penton... It idles at 50 mph in the woods and will knock your roost protectors off too !

2c

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

thrownchain

Shouldn't that be the "Greek" factor for anal restore??  [sorry couldn't help it].

dkwkid

Here is my take on it. . .
 When I see a pristine stock Penton at a show I enjoy looking at it but in the back of my mind i chuckle a bit as nobody rode a bike stock. Petty fenders, pipes, shocks and other bits were changed out all the time. then (as now) racers are going to use what works best.
 I like to stare at my bikes in the garage but I prefer to ride my WR250F now. Remember,I suffered thru that time period and my body really likes the new stuff.My son and I are racing desert now and it is a blast!
 What would it have been like if John Penton only rode his NSU around in the late 60,s?

lksseven

Larry,

It's only going to get worse.  Everyone's 5 years older than they were 5 years ago.  It only stands to reason that there were more 'racers' 5 years ago than now.  There will be fewer racers in 5 years, and even fewer in 10 years, and even fewer in 15 years.  In 25 years, even the youngest of us will be OLD and no one will be racing anymore (except Ted Del Solar!), and there aren't any guys that are 25 years old now that will be sighing deep sighs over the Pentons of their youth and wanting to keep the magic going, because they weren't born when Penton quit marketing.  Demographics is Destiny.

On the other hand, I agree that too much angst over minute details can get under your skin, if it just goes on and on.  

I think maybe something we could all agree on is that - regardless of whether we have beauty bikes or racing bikes - the most important thing is that they are maintained well, so that they will survive and continue to represent a special time in motorcycle history.  Nothing's worse than seeing was a once beautiful, capable machine that has been neglected and rusted beyond reclamation.  

Finally, I'll say this - To thine own self be true.   for me, some of the Penton models are the most beautiful works of motorcycle art I've ever seen.  The Steeltanker silhouette, to my eye, is Kim Basinger and Rachel Welsh rolled into one ... simply perfection.  No matter what color bikini they wear, that silhouette is still the bomb.  

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time