Six Day Loaner

Started by tlanders, August 21, 2006, 01:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

Would anyone be willing to loan me a Six Day for the Cross Country next Saturday at Portland, MI? I'll treat it with respect!!! Mine is currently stuck in 5th gear and I don't have enough time before we leave Thursday night to do anything about it since I am still working on the MC5. By the way, my new 175cc MC5 won it's first cross country at Walnut last Saturday. What a neat bike!!!!

Teddy

Dennis Jones

Teddy you da MAN!!! It was just last month you were looking for a frame for the MC5, and now you have not only entered it in a race but won with it. Outstanding!
At my present completion rate my 125 MC5 Might be finished this time next year [V]

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

chicagojerry

teddy, are you looking for a classic 125 or will a sportsman 200 bike do?      chijer

tlanders

Jerry, actually any classic bike will do - as long as it is a Penton!!!! Oh, maybe this one time I would consider riding another marque. I should have my Six Day straightened out by Evansville.

Dennis, thank you. I worked really hard since picking up the frame and swingarm (from a different bike) at Gary Ellis's house on the way back from Mid Ohio, on building this MC5 from scratch. I powder coated the frame, swingarm, forks, brake hubs, and other Penton silver stuff. Put on new brakes, rebuilt the front end, rebuilt the swingarm, put on new plastic and graphics, picked up an engine from Larry Perkins, I had a pipe. I welded bigger foot pegs and made the shifter longer, etc. Trying to find all the small stuff took the time. I made at least three frantic calls to Al buehner for stuff. I had to "borrow" the seat/rear fender and shocks from my 1978 MC5. (I am still looking for an MC5 seat, anyone have one in any condition to sell?)

I was still putting it together Friday night at the track before the race. After I thought I was done, Lee Stebleton was sitting next to it by Harvey (the RV) and he said "I think there is something missing, it doesn't look right under the seat". I looked and sure enough, I had forgotten to put on the inner rear fender!!! Rosemary then found a plastic yellow dinner plate that just fit perfectly when held in place with duct tape and wire ties.

It was rewarding to get the win the first time out after all the midnight oil that was burnt.

Teddy

pketchum

Great story Teddy.  You'll always be my hero and my best friend.  I was thinking about you and Rosemary this weekend and wondering how you'd done at the races.

I'm hoping to come home tonight to find a new MzB ignition on my front dooor step for my KTM.
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

tlanders

I have been offered a Hodaka for this Saturday. I am asking permission of you POGGERS to ride a foreign bike this one time. Is it OK????

Teddy

checkcrew

Ted, i am sure Dwhite Rudder would approve !!!, i also have an as new 71 SuperRat, you get my vote !!, best of luck on whatever you ride, regards, Mike G.

Mike Gallagher - 71 Six- Day 125 Steel Tanker, 2- 1972 Six-Days, 73 Six-Day, 73 Jackpiner, 75 Mint 400, 76 MC5-400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Dennis Jones

Teddy, Just do like JP did in "The Day" and slap a Penton sticker on the Hodi.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Tennessee Vol

Teddy,
 Glad to see you are comming around!![:0] Just get with that one legged guy he will fix you up![:p]

You will be riding a slow bike with no SOUL! :D Just don't go over to the dark side for good![}:)]

Bobby Stults
Bobby Stults

tlanders

Thanks guys, I feel that I have your approval. I like the Penton sticker idea!!!

Teddy

tlanders

I pulled the Sachs clutch side cover off and discovered that the shifter key had come unscrewed from the shifter shaft and yes I was truely stuck in 6th gear!!! Red grade locktight is just not what it used to be!!! No time before tomorrow to split the cases and repair. I should have it back running for Evansville. Hmmmm. Penton sticker on the Hodie!! You never know, the Hodie may have a green tank with "Six Day" written on it.

Teddy

tlanders

Bobby,

Is Johnnie going to Portland?

Teddy

chicagojerry

teddy, i don't care what you ride as long as i don't have to help push it this time.  :D  i like the sticker idea tho..    chijer

rob w

Teddy,

If you really needed a "Six Day" bike I'd hold out for a PENTON.
 But since it's only a "One Hour" race, a Hodaka should work.   :D

lksseven

Teddy,

Everyone I grew up with had Hodakas and then graduated to Pentons when they could afford to.  So, really, it's like you'll be riding a ancestoral Penton, kind of like the Brits' Hodaka to the Penton's U.S.A.  

Just win, baby.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time