Dave Mungenast, Sr. Godspeed

Started by Jeff D, September 20, 2006, 08:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

I just received a phone call from John Sawahzki that Dave Mungenast, Sr. passed away late this afternoon in St. Louis, MO.  We have lost a true friend and a true gentleman of the highest order.  Arrangements are still pending at this time, however please keep Barbara, Ray, Dave Jr., Kurt and the rest of the Mungenast family in your prayers.
This is a sad day for the Penton and ISDT families.
Jeff DeBell

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Larry Perkins

My heart is sad as another great one has gone upstairs.  A great rider, a great businessman, a great father, a great husband, and truely a great man.  Godspeed Dave.

Larry P

Lew Mayer

They will be in my prayers. Too much sad news this year.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Rocket

I only met Dave a couple years ago in Oklahoma.  He was the type of gentleman that you liked instantly, very friendly and personable.  I wish I would have met him years ago.  He will be missed.  My sympathy goes out to the family.
Rod Gorzny

DKWRACER

Jeff, there are also moments in Passing. John Sawahzki has also lost his father and mother in recent months, this has come to me by a very few in the Denver area, have only met him once, a few occasions, most during racing, his hair, now shaven would remind.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Paul Danik

Ed Youngblood has written a fitting tribute to Dave at his Motohistory website in the News & Views section.    //www.motohistory.net  

johnnycrash

There are heroes who walk among us
never looking for glory or praise
They don't seek recognition
for their thoughtful, caring ways.
Living lives of deep commitment
providing for those they hold dear
Steadfast with a quiet strength
through times of laughter and tears.
You are a person like that to us
The most selfless man by far
So Dave, we'd like to thank you
For being the HERO that you are.

God Bless and we shall meet a gain my friend.

wfopete

Dave Mungenast, Sr.:

A champion for the sport and humankind.
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

tomale

Thanks so much for letting us know, my  heart is saddened my his passing, I will be more than happy to keep his family in my prayers, I look forward to more details,
with a heavy heart:(

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

rob w

In many ways, Dave Mungenast was to the Annual ISDT Reunion Rides - what Jim Pomeroy was to AHRMA Motocross.
Pioneers and legends in their respective sport, huge personalities, hearts of gold. Leaders, spokesmen, fellow racer's. Always giving so much of themselves, to guarantee a fun time would be had by all. The ultimate hosts and ambassadors.
 I remember the moment that Dave shook my hand, and handed me my first Reunion Ride Medal at St. Joe MO. in '02.
 And I remember the moment when Jim shook my hand, and handed me my first Natl. MX award at Budds Creek, MD. in '03.
 It meant very much to me that those men were there, I feel very grateful to have had the opportunity to meet them. By knowing them just a little bit, my life is better for it. They shared their love and passion for an era of motorcycling, so that we could all benefit in the fun. They were mentors, and friends.

Some of the biggest memories I'll have of Mr. Mungenast, are the times we all had at the ISDTRR banquets in '02, and '03.
He on stage as MC, with Mr. Penton and a microphone, made for some good entertainment. Some of it was about sharing the history and lore, but it usually always led to something that was very humorous, and ammusing. Their chemistry together, was formula for a forever memorable good time.
This is truely sad, my condolence's to the Mungenast family.

Bob W

Jay Jones

Dave was and will remain one of the great true legends in motorcycling history,He will be extremely missed!Prayers with the family in this heartfelt time.

HOLESHOTKTM

I had the fortune to ride with Dave a few times at the Colorado 500. He was liked by all. He always had great stories at the rest breaks, over lunch or dinner during the ride. He was a normal guy who seemed like he always had a smile or sly grin on his face. A guy that anyone would have loved to have ride or spent some time with talking and laughing.
If you could  have only one friend in life and it was Dave you would  consider yourself a very lucky person. After reading about Dave's life I consider myself very lucky to have spent a few hours with such an icon in the offroad motorcycle industry. Dave is a  legend and a great human being. He will be truly missed by all. God speed Dave.

Dwight Rudder

Anyone who might be interested in a Dave Munganast Memorial shirt, Rokon Ron Sutton has put one together and $3 of each Memorial shirt will be donated to Dave's Charities.
Dwight

Subject: [vinduro] ISDT/Mungenast shirt

Everyone interested in an ISDT/Mungenast shirt,

--- daview01 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Would you consider reprinting the ISDT.org with Dave
> changing tires
> on the front.  I'd want 3-4 3XL's if you did....
> Mine are getting pretty thread bare and in light of our
> recent loss
> it be a great way to honor Dave...

The original design ISDT.org shirts are there in several
different styles.

I also made up a special Dave Mungenast Memorial shirt
using the same picture of Dave changing a tire at the 1975
ISDT that I used on the ISDT.org shirt. $3.00 of the cost
of each shirt will be divided between Dave's favorite
charities. AMA Motorcycle Museum and St Louis Boys and
Girls Club.

I gave one of the original ISDT.org shirt to Dave and he
really liked it.

It's not much, but I wanted to do something.

So, here's the address http://www.cafepress.com/isdt

RokonRon

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

tlanders

Dave was wonderful, a true gentleman. I tried to thank him for all he has done for the sport by putting his picture in the "6" on the ISDT Quailifer tee shirts last spring. He helped sponsor the weekend as I know he has helped many other organizations with their efforts to keep the vintage sport going.

Everybody loved Dave, he made no enemies. Even the guys who put cow manure on the seat of his Rokon in the Parc Ferme at the 2004 ISDT Reunion Ride in Tulsa loved Dave. I am going to miss the Dave Mungenast/John Penton verbal one-up-manship at the banquet next month. We will all miss him very much.

Teddy