Sachs Crankshaft Outer Bearing Race

Started by imported_n/a, September 22, 2001, 05:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I'm having difficulty removing the outer bearing race of my 125/6B engine.  I've heated the case (ignition side) in the oven and all the other bearings have come out easily.  However, the main bearing outer race won't come out.  Any suggestions?

Doug Wilford

G;
You have the right idea.  Put the case in the oven at 450 degrees for about 30 minutes.
Get a large piece of 4X6 or 6X8 wood, put it on a solid concrete floor.  Remove the case from the oven using some good heat proof gloves or pads, take the case half with the center split down and with much gusto (try to keep the case as flat to the wood as possible) slam the case down on the wood, it may take a few slams for the race to fall out, (but don't get a finger in between, it really smarts) Have your new races and other bearings in the freezer before hand and while the case is still hot put them back in the side case.  Good Luck.

john durrill

If you put something heavy on the race while it cools in the case it will keep the race from creeping up . they do that sometimes and can cause probelms when you measure for the inner race shims.
 Just a thought , i have had it happen to me once or twice . a piece of cast iron water pipe would probably work. i use steal pipe with a 2 and 1/2 lb dumbell weight on top. :>)

imported_n/a

Thanks,
I heated the case at a higher temperature for a little bit longer and it came out on the first tap.