Off Topic - Single Shock Spring Removal

Started by Mick Milakovic, September 28, 2006, 08:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All,
I'm trying to take the spring off my son's '85 Kawasaki single-shock.  With twin shocks it's easy, just pull the spring down by hand and slip the retaining collar off, but these mono-shock springs are so strong I can't budge it.  Anybody have a normal garage-tool remedy for my dilemma?  [8] Behind the 8-ball, and thanks in advance, Mick.

Mick

Larry Perkins

You really need a spring compressor but you might pull this off on a mini.  First if it has a preload ring turn it all the way out to get the least amount of spring pressure.  Then you can take two or three pair of vise grips and in different positions on the spring clamp together one coil towards another which relieves the spring pressure.  With two or three of these clamped down it might relieve enough pressure to get the retainer out.  It will leave some nasty mars on the spring paint and if one of the vise grips goes off loo out.  It is archaic but sometimes wors in a pinch.  A good shop would have a spring depressor or one can be purchased.  If you want to order one I could save you some $$ on it.

Larry P

desmond197

Take it to your local shop and have them do it. These springs have a lot of energy in them and a jury rigged tool could hurt you.