Source for Progressive shocks

Started by Mike Stephenson, September 29, 2006, 05:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Stephenson

I have been poking around for a good source of Progressive 12 series shocks in the 13.5" length and came across them on bikebandit.com  so for what it is worth here is a link:

http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/productlist~section_dept_id~1155115~terrain_dept_id~1163228~cat_dept_id~1164039~product_dept_id~1164181~selection_Path~3.asp

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

Larry Perkins

We sell the same shock to Vintage guys for 20% off retail which is a little less than Bike Bandit if it helps anyone.  Just call the shop when I am there(417)862-3478.

Larry P

pdserra56

Hy Larry, sorry to ask, but your offer is for the complete shocks ready to be assembled onto the frame, or for the springs to rebuilt the shocks? Thanks Paolo DC. private email [email protected]

Mike Stephenson

Larry - thanks!  I am new to this Penton stuff - so was not aware there was a vendor here offering the same thing!  When I get ready to order some I will be sure to let you know.

Mike

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan

t20sl

Just a note of some useful information.  Series 12 Progressives are a generic shock.  The exact same dampning (shock)is used on street bike Progressives.  All series 12's cross over to Harley, Honda, Kawasaki etc... I just realized this recently.  The series 13 is actually the same design as the old S&W heavy duty shocks sold to offroaders in the 1970's.  They are a Freon cell shock with slightly larger bodies.  Problem is series 13's only come in 15" 15.75" 16.5 "  and 17.5".  I have tried to see if Progressive would make these in shorter lengths but so far no luck.  Progressive's catalog reccomends the 13 series for offroad and dual sport bikes.  Their tech guys say it is the way to go but have no answer as to why the 12 series is shown for old mx bikes other than it is the only shock they offer in shorter lengths.  Maybe if more of us show an interest in 13 series in shorter lengths they will make them.  I am sure the dampning is better on the Progressives than wore out Cerianis but I can't believe that a guy on a Yamaha 650 Maxim and me on a 74 CR250 have the same requirements.  If you something to hold up the back end and putt around on then their fine.  If you want better shocks, go with Falcons, Works, or Ohlins.  Just my take.  Ted

Bob Seymour

Larry, What would a pair of the series 13 Progressives that Ted mentioned in a 16" length sell for?         Thanks, Bob

t20sl

Bob:  I just double checked lengths available.  15, 15.75, 16.5, 17.5. are what Progressive currently lists.   MSRP I believe is $182.95 plus $79.95 for springs.  Ted

Bob Seymour

Thanks for the info Ted. 15.75 or 16.5 lengths would work for the intended bike,and I may go that route, but I think I'll continue to do some comparison shopping. I think for about another $100.00 you can get a nice set of Works Performance shocks, which from what I have been told are far superior to the Progressives. New Ohlins, from at least what I understand, are minimumly double that. Good product, just pricey.