First Ride

Started by Randy Lamp, October 09, 2006, 11:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Lamp

I took my 1975 250 Penton out this past weekend to see how it ran. I think the last time a raced a dirt bike was in the spring of 1974. I apparently forgot a few things since then. The ride started off badly. The bike started right up ,first kick, but while I was waiting for my friends to get ready ,I rode around the parking lot to warm things up a bit. When I reached for a little throttle, all hell broke loose. The engine hit its power band and the bike about jumped from one side of the lot to the other. My heart was in my throat. When I got it turned back around , there was a really pissed off younger guy yelling and shaking his fist at me. I rode over to see what he wanted and he told me that I had thrown dirt and rocks all over the place with my little stunt and could have hit his four wheeler.What is a four wheeler anyway? He was real angry and in my face pretty hard ,but I told him if there was any dmamge ,I would take care of it. He said there was not , but I should learn how to ride a bike. I understood why he was angry ,because I always hated pit racers.I suddenly felt like a rookie. I went back later and talked to him again, and he had cooled off some. He said the Penton was very cool ,but it was a shame to take it out and get it dirty. I guess that ment everything was cool again.

The bike ran pretty well and after some time I was getting my riding legs back a bit and getting a better feel for the bikes power. We set up a short track to practice on and started doing some laps. The other guys have brand new bikes with fence post size front forks and three or maybe four feet of rear travel. Of course the Penton does not. The rear shocks were bottoming out on a few of the exit berms and the fornt forks didn't work as well as I rememebr. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to set up the front forks and an opionion on the Ohlin rear shocks ,there valaving and spring rates. I realize you can't make an old bike handle like the new ones but it was a real chore to keep up with those new bikes on the real rough terrain. The exisitng rear shock are almost new and they are painted black with progressive on the springs in small withe letters.

I will try and clean the thing up tonight after I get home from work. I wonder how the spray can restoration help up under all that dirt and mud?

Randy Lamp

chicagojerry

i switched from progressive shocks to ohlins. they were pricey but worth it. i won't go back. unfortunatley i can't afford them for all my vintage bikes that i ride. but i have two sets for my primary ones.
chi jer

chicagojerry

i switched from progressive shocks to ohlins. they were pricey but worth it. i won't go back. unfortunatley i can't afford them for all my vintage bikes that i ride. but i have two sets for my primary ones.
chi jer