TWO Penton 400s for sale*need restoration*

Started by jwbike962, October 14, 2006, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwbike962

I had one of these up for sale before, but after 3 months of one of the group saying they were going to come up and get it I am re-listing.  I bought the second one to combine the two and make one good bike, but you could have two pretty nice 400s if you restored both.

Pictures  http://hometown.aol.com/jwbike962/page1.html

These pictures aren't the best.  I can send a zip file to your email with more pictures.  I can help some with delivery if negotiated before the sale.  I get 70 cents per mile, but don't like big towns.

1976 Penton (orange one)

Engine 5502800  Frame 5460389131
Engine turns over.  The bike does have spark.  I put on a chain and you can see when you push it in gear.  Shifting is very notchy.  Kickstarter strokes but doesn't catch anything.  Bike sat for years and oil was like jelly.  I flushed gearbox put in new oil, now it shifts through the gears, but I think kickstarter pawls are still gummed up.  Biggest problem I can see with engine is the top of the case is cracked where the stay attaches.  I have photos.  Going to be welded or one person told me JB Weld as it is not a stressed mount?  The gearbox is holding oil as I made a new gasket.

Other things:  fender bag has MS logo and all the straps-front fender says FALK-fiberglass airbox-have not looked at carb-needs roller set up for chain-need clutch lever and handlebar mount...plus I'm sure other stuff...look carefull at pictures.  I don't know very much about Pentons.

Late 1977 Penton

The certificate of origin signed by John A Penton says 1977 400 with mfrs serial no 55003039 and motor number 65503926

Engine is VERY stuck, otherwise it looks like a pretty complete motorcycle.  It will shift into first and second gear and into neutral, but kickstarter will not move and it will not turn over when you put it into gear.  Did someone take out the kickstarter stop?
I am completely unsure as to what it is as I have not looked.

You can call me evenings at 231-924-5965 or email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

****************Oh yeah, $1,200.00 for both bikes****************

jwbike962

Sorry guys, I should have given my location.  Fremont, Michigan 49412.  I can help some with delivery on a paid per mile basis.  Pretty easy for me to get to the Southern Michigan border.
Thanks for all the interest.

ktmkirk

Quotequote:Originally posted by jwbike962

Sorry guys, I should have given my location.  Fremont, Michigan 49412.  I can help some with delivery on a paid per mile basis.  Pretty easy for me to get to the Southern Michigan border.
Thanks for all the interest.
How much were you wanting for both bikes, I would make a trip up from Ohio to pick them up to save shipping if you could hold them for a few weeks if the price was right...Kirk

thrownchain

ktmkirk

Quotequote:Originally posted by jwbike962

I had one of these up for sale before, but after 3 months of one of the group saying they were going to come up and get it I am re-listing.  I bought the second one to combine the two and make one good bike, but you could have two pretty nice 400s if you restored both.

Pictures  http://hometown.aol.com/jwbike962/page1.html

These pictures aren't the best.  I can send a zip file to your email with more pictures.  I can help some with delivery if negotiated before the sale.  I get 70 cents per mile, but don't like big towns.

1976 Penton (orange one)

Engine 5502800  Frame 5460389131
Engine turns over.  The bike does have spark.  I put on a chain and you can see when you push it in gear.  Shifting is very notchy.  Kickstarter strokes but doesn't catch anything.  Bike sat for years and oil was like jelly.  I flushed gearbox put in new oil, now it shifts through the gears, but I think kickstarter pawls are still gummed up.  Biggest problem I can see with engine is the top of the case is cracked where the stay attaches.  I have photos.  Going to be welded or one person told me JB Weld as it is not a stressed mount?  The gearbox is holding oil as I made a new gasket.

Other things:  fender bag has MS logo and all the straps-front fender says FALK-fiberglass airbox-have not looked at carb-needs roller set up for chain-need clutch lever and handlebar mount...plus I'm sure other stuff...look carefull at pictures.  I don't know very much about Pentons.

Late 1977 Penton

The certificate of origin signed by John A Penton says 1977 400 with mfrs serial no 55003039 and motor number 65503926

Engine is VERY stuck, otherwise it looks like a pretty complete motorcycle.  It will shift into first and second gear and into neutral, but kickstarter will not move and it will not turn over when you put it into gear.  Did someone take out the kickstarter stop?
I am completely unsure as to what it is as I have not looked.

You can call me evenings at 231-924-5965 or email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

****************Oh yeah, $1,200.00 for both bikes****************

I cannot get these bikes at this time do to having too many other "penton" financial obligations.

jwbike962

Thank you for all the responses.  The bikes have been sold.