Thanks to Al Born

Started by OhioTed, October 27, 2006, 10:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

I was talking about attending the POG meetings in another post, and ended up referencing some copies of Still Keeping Track.  Reading through the "meeting minutes" included in them, I was reminded of what an excellent, dedicated job that Al Born does for this group.  Have any of your ever served in the position of Secretary for an organization?  Well, I have, I can tell you that it's not easy.  Just sit around with a group of big bull*****ers some time and try to write down every word they say.  It's hard!  Take a look at the minutes in any issue of SKT.  Al gets it all.  He really works at this stuff.  And how about the "The Way It Was" section of SKT?  Do you know where that info comes from?  Well, it's primarily the result of one dedicated individual - Mr. Al Born - who has carefully filed away every scrap of information about the history of Penton motorcycles he has ever gotten his hands on.  Then, for every issue of SKT, he gleans through all that stuff, and gives us those excellent references to what was taking place way back when.  Let's hear it for one of POG's unsung heroes!  Thanks, Al.

imported_n/a

I second that motion! Guess what I took with me to the hospital 2 weeks ago to pass the time awaiting the birth of our new daughter?....a dozen back issues of SKT, read them all (again), cover to cover while Mom labored for 22 hours. Baby Olivia's first words will be "Penton" and "Sachs" :)

Thanks Al!

Chris H.

firstturn

Ted,
  Thanks for reminding us all how important Al has been and continues to be to the Penton Owner's Group.  He is a person who does a lot and never asks for recognition.  Thanks Al for all the great things you have done and continue to do for the POG.  Besides that Al was one TOUGH rider in his day...and maybe still is??

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Ron,  Thanks for remembering to mention Al's riding abilities.  I've had the good fortune to chronical the man's riding/racing experiences, and he is amazing!  Al has had more top finishes, on more types of bikes, in more forms of competition, than one can imagine.  Way before Al began competing on his Steel Tanker, he had many wins under his belt.  Some of those wins were OVERALL Hare Scramble victories on (I still can't believe this) a modified Honda S90.  Have you ever seen an S90?  It's a teeny, little street bike - a virtual toy!  I've asked people who were there, how Al could possibly have posted OA's on this bike (which he still owns), and they just shake their heads and say, "He just held it wide open - all the time."  The man knows no fear.  Plus, at his present (ahem) station in life,  Al's current ride is a KTM 105.  Now, don't think that Al couldn't just as easily handle a 620 4-stroke or something like that (many of his early victories were on big-bore bikes), it's just that Al is not the biggest guy in the world, so a small bike works well for him.  Plus, have you ever ridden one of those screamin' 105's?  They are hairy as can be.  Hope Al doesn't mind us talking about him like this, but as Ron says, he deserves the recognition.

Randy Kirkbride

Al Born is a SUPER guy. He's always ready with a smile & a handshake when I see him. He works his tail off for the POG.  Thanks AL