Lead additive for the gas?

Started by jimpal, November 02, 2006, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimpal

Four or five years ago when I wanted to get the old Piner running again after 20+ years or so, someone told me (I think it was a fella named "Doc" that I met at Richard Sanders Bike shop in Conroe, Texas. It could have been somebody else, but that name sticks in my mind) Anyway, he said that I needed to make sure that I added a lead substitute to any gas that I put in the Piner. If not, the gas today would run too hot and ruin the engine. I bought a bottle of "TKZ Two Stroke Power Booster Lead Substitute". I will soon need more of that, but thought I would ask you guys first.[?] Do you use a lead sustitute in your gas for all your vintage bikes..What brand do you use and where do you get it..I also use it in my wife's 1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt....I for sure don't want to burn up these members of my family!:)

Jim Palmer
Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt

Lew Mayer

I don't run it and I compete on mine. No apparent ill effects.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

desmond197

Waste of money on a 2 Stroke. I do use race gas in my bikes because it is very consistant and does not have a lot of junk in it.

Dwight Rudder

I don't suggest using the Klotz as it is a oxygenator and contains additives that attack plastic.  Lead is not needed for 2 stroke engines only 4 stroke engines.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

brokenb23

Hello,  Correct me if I am wrong. Lead was always explained to me as an octane booster. Whether 2-stroke 0r 4- stroke it takes a certain octane rating for your engine to perform the way it is designed. The lead free gas has a lower rating, so quite a few of us use race fuel/various octane ratings-- sometimes race fuel only or race fuel mixed with high octane gasoline(which is not very high). Aviation gas has a high octane rating, but now has a lot of additives which are not compatible with your engine.
Bob Brizzee
Tucson Az

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by brokenb23

Hello,  Correct me if I am wrong. Lead was always explained to me as an octane booster. Whether 2-stroke 0r 4- stroke it takes a certain octane rating for your engine to perform the way it is designed. The lead free gas has a lower rating, so quite a few of us use race fuel/various octane ratings-- sometimes race fuel only or race fuel mixed with high octane gasoline(which is not very high). Aviation gas has a high octane rating, but now has a lot of additives which are not compatible with your engine.
Bob Brizzee
Tucson Az

Lead is a octane booster but it is primarily a valve lubricant and cushion.  a 93 octane no lead and a 93 octane leaded have the exact same octane. So no advantage there.  If  you insist you can blend a couple gallons of AvGas to 3 gallons of MoGas to up the octane slightly .
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

jimpal

:)Hey guys, thanks for the info. The fella who told me to use lead in the gas said if I didn't, it would melt the piston. All I ever did was ride, but really knew nothing about the engines, so I bought the lead substitute. My understanding from what ya'll are saying is..forget the lead substitute..don't need it..won't hurt the engine to run plain gas...Also, you mentioned some of you use race fuel..where do you get that..just curious. At my age and ability, probably wouldn't need it..but it is better to run the higher priced higher octane gas instead of regular grade..correct?  Thanks!:D

Jim Palmer
Jim
1972 Jackpiner
1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt

firstturn

Jim,
  All good questions.  Actually lead came to the rescue in WWII when it was added to fuel for aircraft to lubricate the valve train...we all know there is no parking places at 10,000 feet.  As far as race fuel in the Houston area just look under fuel in the yellow pages or call the local speed shop and they can direct you to the nearest vendor.  Just use hi test Unleaded and try to drain the fuel from the tank if you are going to let it set up for over a week after riding.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by jimpal

Four or five years ago when I wanted to get the old Piner running again after 20+ years or so, someone told me (I think it was a fella named "Doc" that I met at Richard Sanders Bike shop in Conroe, Texas. It could have been somebody else, but that name sticks in my mind) Anyway, he said that I needed to make sure that I added a lead substitute to any gas that I put in the Piner. If not, the gas today would run too hot and ruin the engine. I bought a bottle of "TKZ Two Stroke Power Booster Lead Substitute". I will soon need more of that, but thought I would ask you guys first.[?] Do you use a lead sustitute in your gas for all your vintage bikes..What brand do you use and where do you get it..I also use it in my wife's 1974 Hodaka Dirt Squirt....I for sure don't want to burn up these members of my family!:)

Jim Palmer

Never in my modern life have I used ledgas in any of my Vintage or modern bikes.
No need.

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A 77
Hercules 250-7A 76
Hercules 250 GS 7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

Kid Six Day

Question about octane Ratings
I thougth the higher octane was only needed in high compression motors so as not to cause preignition before the piston reaches top dead center due to the higher compression
so is their any advantages in running higher octane gas in a motor that dosn't need it? Or do guys run race gas because it is more uniform then pump gas? I have always been fine with just running premium gas.

Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
'73 Penton Six Day 125
Alex Klein
Columbus,OH
\\\'73 Penton Six Day 125

sixdazed

Ron-You are soooo right about draining the gas when putting your bike into storage.I've seen enough green carbs and plugged jets lately to last a lifetime,but of course cleaning carbs pays the bills so i guess i can't complain.The shelf life on this new fuel(at least here in Arizona)is non-existent.Three weeks tops and your carb is varnished and pilot jet/circuit is plugged.So drain em' when you park em' or get ready to clean your carb....Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

454MRW

How good does "Fuel Fresh" or other fuel stabilizers that are designed to keep moisture out of the fuel when stored and help keep the fuel from turning to varnish as well as losing some octane from storage? It has been suggested that any bike or car that doesn't see regular fill ups should add some to their fuel. I even added some before the RR because of the wet conditions. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R