Tom Benolkin Story

Started by Randy Kirkbride, July 17, 2007, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy Kirkbride

Anyone want to read a great story about our friend TB?
http://www.mxbob.com/hall/tombenolkin.htm

firstturn

Randy,
  Thanks for putting this link/story of Tom up on the site.  I will never forget when I was working with Team Honda and I ask where Benolkin went after Kawasaki I was told he went to get a real life.  I always remember thinking he was probably smart since I had seen a lot of people that didn't know how to stop.  I will also share with everyone something one of the mechanics at Honda told me was the Tom was "too hard on equipment".  My response to this person was "I thought we were supposed to build a bike that could win"???  There was no comment.  I have seen a lot of the BEST RIDERS of all times in MX and I will say that Tom has to be in the top 25 of all time riders that I have wittnessed in my time.  That is just my opinion. Of all the things in this interview here is what make Tom a true Champion in my eyes....read it and remember that so many riders blame others for there poor performances.

"Through it all, there were no episodes of kicking the bike, yelling at his mechanic, or crying to the media. Asked how he kept his cool through what must have been a very frustrating time, Tom replied with something that reflects a wisdom and maturity not always present with riding talent. "It was tough to maintain (mentally) bike DNFs, but I really got used to handling the setback. To this day, I regularly tell my son that how you recover from a setback to a large degree determines how well you do in life. It seems managing setbacks is a part of daily life. I never really had tantrums on the professional level because I had learned years before that others are always watching you and looking up to you as a role model, to represent your state, or in some other way."

Tom,
  Thanks for the great Frienship and wonderful leadership you give to young men who have worked for you and how you try to help them get a good start in life.  God Bless you and your wonderful Family.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

jon

Great story, I grew in Minnesota and watched Tommy"The blast's" Benolkin's career. I was 13 in 1981 and can still remember the interview in MXA with him. I've alway tried to remind people that Tommy was Minesota's first factory rider. I really would have liked to see him on Honda's in 1981/2 would might have been.

Lew Mayer

I had been sent that same story and thought it was great. Glad to see others get to read it,as well.
Thanks Randy

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Ernie Phillips

Man, is that cool or what!  Thanks Randy.  Looking forward to seeing Tom B. ride too.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tlanders

Tom is a joy to watch race. His incredible performance at Diamond Don's a year ago I don't believe will be duplicated by anybody ever again. 6 classes, 12 wins on a Six Day against any size bike!!! When I saw him on the line at Mid Ohio with the legends, after the organizers had left him off the roster of legends, I was excited. I was hoping for 1-2 wins for Penton with Jack and Tom out there. With Jack still recovering from his bout with cancer, I thought Benolkin would win it. As we all witnessed, Tom's Penton broke down in the siting lap, then he hopped on another bike and it broke down and he didn't finish. However, he was the fastest guy out there. When his bikes were running, he was gunning down everybody. Tom told me he was going to hang up the Six Day and it was for sale after the race. He gave great credit to the POGGERs (especially Ron C.) for all the support we all have given him. We will miss you VERY much Tom.

Teddy

smkt342

What's he going to race next?

Keith

tlanders

Don't know, I am hoping he will change his mind.

Teddy

454MRW

Rumours that I heard was that he is going back to a Honda. His innovative modifications and insight will surely be missed here by most of us. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R