Elsinore Grand Prix

Started by socalmx, November 13, 2006, 10:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalmx

Victor Monz and myself represented the POG at the Elsinore Grand Prix held over this past weekend. Both of us raced in the Vintage event on Saturday morning. Victor opted to race a very nice 250 Hare Scrambler while I was on a Berkshire racing in the 100 cc Trailbike class. Course was fast but fun running up in the hills above town then dropping down onto the street for a full throttle straight away. Overall, it was a good course and a great day. My only regret is that I was not able to catch Victor on that 250!

Paul Danik

Thanks for the report.  

I saw that event in the movie "On Any Sunday", is todays event anything like the one in the movie?  Were there many vintage bikes?

Thanks
Paul

socalmx

The current event does not really run thru town like the did during the early 70's. This is due mainly to crowd control and liability issues. The Vintage class ususally has around 100 bikes entered. This year on the starting line examples of: Triumph singles, CZ. Maico, Husky, Ossa Phantom, Honda CR250/CR125/SL350, Suzuki TM125, Yamaha 250MX/360 Enduro, Hodaka Combat Wombat/Super Rat, Bultaco Pursang, Penton Hare Scrambler/Berkshire, and Harley Baja. There are no classes except trailbike so there is a big advantge to riding a big bore due to the high speed sections of the course. What I thought was funny was that this year they brought you back into town a bit differently. They added a little downhill that  had a sharp turn in deep sand at the bottom. Being an old desert rat, this was no problem to me but for others it sure was. I saw people walking their bike down, not making the turn, and dropping bike in sand while trying to turn (almost rode over an Ossa rider who fell down right next to me). Overall it was a well organized (and safe)race.

Paul Danik

Thanks for the information. Maybe next year your Berkie will show that Hare Scrambler it's taillight:)

Paul