Sachs 173cc motors

Started by desmond197, March 13, 2005, 09:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desmond197

I just picked up the 1975 Hercules I bought on evilbay and it has a 173cc Sachs motor. I have heard they made these motors but this is the first one I have seen. The motor appears to be in excellent condition with the exception of a broken fin and the head. Any info or tips on these motors.

Kip Kern

Steve  Is it the newer Sachs or the older style Sachs?  If the older style, it is the same as the 100/125 bottom, possibly an 11 spring clutch.  The only big difference is the top end.  If it is the newer style, contact Dwight Rudder or Rik Smits, they can help!

desmond197

It is the old school Sachs motor. The bike was very complete and in good shape only needing the tank and a skid plate. I was looking in an old Cycle Buyers Guide from 1975 and it said that Doug Wilford would be riding the 175 in couple of Enduros. The guy I got it from brougth his over from Gemany. I wonder how many of these bikes were brought into the states.

Kip your Pathfinder parts list was put on CD because it was hard to copy the manual on the copy machine with out redoing the binding. I will send it out to you tomorrow with the brocure copy.

Doug Wilford

The 75 Hercules with a 173cc Sachs engine was a very good bike.   The cases were redesigned internally in the crank area to allow for bigger transfers, rod and piston   The gears and transmission area remained much the same as its' forerunners.   The did add 3 springs to the clutch while narrowing the steel plates.??? and changed gear ratios.  Speedy Clausen alias Helmut Clausen in Canada is one the most versed persons that I know of in North America.  Maybe he will jump in here with more information. Have fun.   I did ride the 175 in a couple of enduros and qualifiers, even though it had more power than the 125, the 125 was my favorite.   There were quite a few of the 175s sold here in the states, it was designed to late the Penton 175 with the KTM engine was already on the market for 2 years before the Sachs 175 was introduced to the American Market.

Kip Kern

Steve, Thanks for the CD on the Greeves.  Have fun with the 175 Sachs, I thought they were neat engines, had a chance to rebuild 2 of them and have only seen 3 total.;)

Dwight Rudder

These 1751/6a engines were only built for 2 years. 1974-75.  They were only brought into the USA in 1975 when Fritz Dengle and Doug Wilford as ROTARY CYCLES USA( with help from John Penton), became the Hercules distributor. They were replaced in 1976 with a totally new engine design, the 1751/7a engine.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Kip Kern

Bob

I have rebuilt a few of the 175 engines, most from DKW's.  They are identical to the 100/125's with exception of the bore, of course, and the clutch basket, which was eleven spring if I remember correctly.  Mike M. from Tennessee is looking for one to finish one of his 175's.  Contact Helmut C about these if you need info or Leo as they speak Herc! CIAO

Dennis Jones

Steve or Kip,
Would it be possible for me to get a copy of the Pathfinder CD? I would be happy to pay for the trouble.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

pakala

Bob,
 Neat-0,I picked up a 75' Hercules 175 a year ago.Pistons are tuff to find. I need a left(clutch side) foot peg mount. If you come across one in your travles. http://tinyurl.com/yb7hem
              Paul(socal)

dkwkid

German Army used the 180cc Sachs engine. In fact, you can buy them right now on German Ebay.Shipping will be VERY expensive but it might be worth it if you really want one. Also a few novel changes to the selector arm(spring loaded).

Kip Kern

Dennis  I would also love to have one for my Pathfinder.  Need actual tank decals and original # plates to finish mine.  Nothing available here in the US:(  Can't get any response across the pond either:(

Dennis Jones

Kip, POG member Dennis Brown's son bought a set of pathfinder decals off ebay and plans to have them reproduced. He said he would let me know when they are ready. If I could get a copy of the Pathfinder parts list that would be great.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

sixdazed

Rob W.,Is this the one you were trying to find a PE to trade for it?either way,neat bike.I found a 125 7 speed Herc,which after a last minute, halfassed attempt at the isdtrr i am still cleaning mud off.Just getting the bike to the ride and back home makes me happy(with a little(LOT) of help from my friends).I am sticking with the story that if my plane flight had arrived on time fri. afternoon-instead of nite and i'd had time to clean carb,etc.-i'd have finished ok.Take Care,Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...