Exhaust repair

Started by thrownchain, November 27, 2006, 04:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrownchain

Does anyone have a reliable welder who can fix an exhaust pipe for a 72 six day?? And yes I did use the search mode with very little luck.

Danny Metz

Sure do!  There is a fellow named Pete Miner in Belton, SC who is the most talented welder and fabricator I know.  The pipe on my 78 400 MC5 looked like it had dropped onto a stump or log sometime in its lifetime.  I am talking about where it leaves the head and curves downward before making a 180 and back up through the frame.  

I took it to Pete and he cut away the crushed part of the tube and fabricated a new piece to replace it.  He tig welded it and did very little grinding.  It looks just like it did when it left the factory.  If you are interested, I will send you his number.

thrownchain

Sure, put it up here, I'm sure I'm not the only one who could use it.  thx   Dan

tofriedel

This is a guy I used a few years ago, if memory serves me, he is located in NY.

I am giving you his information as best as I can find in my old files.  I believe his name is Frank Wadelton, known as Frank The Welder.  The last email address I have is [email protected]

He repaired the pipe I have on a 1981 KTM 495 that had been worked on by an a dull individual with a hammer, torch and brazing rod.  What a mess.  Frank made it look almost new by replacing sections and welding in.  Great job and reasonable.

I hope he is still using his old email address.

He claimed at the time that my pipe was the worst he had ever repaired.

Good luck,

Tony
Tony

rob w

"Frank the Welder" Wadelton is famous for his involvment in the early days of mountain bike design and fabrication. Best known for building the bikes that launched the company known as YETI, in the mid-80's.  
 Frank frequented this site several years ago - working a Penton or two if I recall.

dennis foley

dan. try dynaport, there in your back yard, dennis

thrownchain

I've thought about Dynoport, he's about 4 miles from my house. Not sure he's into repair work, but if he's up for it I'll let you know. Thx   Dan

swamp fox

Belton, SC .....

Ah, the memories. Danny, I had some friends down here on the coast that drag raced back in the 70's, and if they had to have the chassis welded, they would take it to Horton's Race Cars in Belton, if I recall the name correctly. Seems like NHRA wanted the welds x-ray/certified. Nothing like a 427 in an old front engine dragster that would get the heart pounding.
I've wondered if the trailers made by Horton Haulers is of the same family.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
04 BMW K12GT
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

thrownchain

I'm going to check with him and see if he made any pipes in the day, and see if he still has the templates. Maybe I can get him to produce a small batch if anyone is interested?? I'll keep everyone posted.[^]

Danny Metz

OK guys, Pete Miner's phone number is (864)338-7860.  Robert, your memory is pretty good!  FWIW, Pete used to work for Ed Horton, but branched out on his own about 15-20 years ago.  He still does a lot of NHRA work building chassis.  He builds all of Roger Gustins Lava Machines (jet powered dragsters).  Pete also builds some of the finest custom motorcyles (V-twin) you will ever lay your eyes on!  

I have no idea if Ed Horton has anything to do with the trailers of the same name.  My dealings have always been with Pete, and his work is second to none! I am pretty particular about my toys, and Pete is one of the few people I have no problem leaving and telling him to "make it right".  His work has always exceeded my expectations.