alloy gas tank how much to pay

Started by gthong, November 29, 2006, 10:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gthong

I HAVE A CHANCE TO GET A NICE CONDITION ALLOY TANK FOR A MID 70'S 250 PENTON .. IT LOOKS COOL.. IN GREAT SHAPE... ARE THESE THINGS A BIG DEAL?  WHAT SHOULD I PAY FOR IT.. my stock tank is in GREAT SHAPE on my 1974 250.. so it's not as though I NEED it.

many thanks

greg

thrownchain

If you're comfortable with what he's asking, buy it.

Larry Perkins

Not long ago two NOS Wassel Penton tanks sold on ebay for $500 and $600 respectively.  Nice ones are getting harder and harder to find and they are not making any more of them to my knowledge.  Therefore any price short of ridiculous is probably not too much.  Even ridiculous will sound good in a few more years.

Larry P

gthong

thanks guys... other comments welcome too

socalmx

Once upon a time about 6 or 7 years ago, I came across two alloy tanks at a vintage swap meet. One was for a Jackpiner and the other for a Six Day (painted in very nice shape). I purchased the Six Day tank for $40 but passed on the Jackpiner because I did not want to spend the extra money. Had I only known...........

Dennis Jones

The MX tanks that sold for $500 & $600 are impossible to find. I looked for years and finally found one a couple of years ago for $300 plus shipping and was glad to pay it. The 3 gallon enduro model is a LITTLE less rare but still very hard to find in good conditon. These are the ones for the high breather CMF. The painted ones and polished ones for the low breather CMF are more pletiful but still bring a pretty good price.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Rain Man

I can remember back in 1976 this fella running with the "New England Sport Cycles" Enduro team had a chrome tank on his 400 Penton.
 Mista,  what a looker that big bore was !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons