69' Penton steel tanker (yea or nay)

Started by pakala, October 08, 2006, 12:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Ron is 100% correct as always. The tank, however is a 69. The 68 tanks had a different decal on them. Shocks are off a 70's bike, more like a 75 or 76

Donny Smith
Lakeside, CA, soon to be Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny is correct on the tank as the '68 had a blue KTK sticker or was plain.  The front fender bracket is a '70/71 and the shocks look like sone of the ones we had on the early 80's Honda bikes...I think?

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

pakala

I know some of the euro factorys would use parts that were present at the time. On this bike we have 69' tank,sprocket carrier,chain guard. With a 68' non- breather frame.
  Were model year changes cut and dry at the KTM factory, like a Jap. manufacturer?
   If this were a early 69' build could it be possible they would use parts that would be considerd 68' and 69' models?
 I know this was common with the maico factory, but they were allowed to drink beer when working, that might be the reason with maico?
                    Paul(socal)

firstturn

Paul,
  All things are possible...even a dealer mixing and matching parts, but I think your bike was one that was just rebuilt by a local with parts that were avaliable.  I say this because of the front fender bracket is from a 1970 or 71 Penton and I think if you look close the rear chain guard was probably cut off and was originally a 1968.  Also the engine, or parts of the engine, was/is from a DKW.  Just my thoughts.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Paul,
  Send me an email so I can get a phone number and address so I can have the bike picked up.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

pakala

Ron,
 It was nice to meet you at the ISDTR. Hopefully,one day this penton will look as nice as the ones at Dave Mungenast's Museum. A other steeltanker saved. Good luck with the bike. Info has been sent.
                Paul (socal)

firstturn

Paul,
  I didn't receive it.  Sometimes I don't get emails sent through the POG.  Give me a call on my cell @ 832.722.0408.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Paul,
  Got the bike this morning.  Not bad.  The '68 frame is excellent and the other parts look good.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

t20sl

Ron:  Speaking of emails did you get mine about a rolling Aloutte I know for sale.  Thought you might be interested.  Ted  [email protected]

firstturn

Ted,
  No I didn't.  I am not interested, but thanks for thinking of letting me know.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

pakala

Ron,
 I am glad the bike is what you expected, the next day I got a call about three zundapp 100 isdt bikes. I didn't have time for the one bike, but I guess I have time for three?
 http://tinyurl.com/yjlly9
                   Paul(socal)

firstturn

Paul,
  You aren't the only person that has that problem.  I bought another Penton because my Friend was out in California and could bring it back for me.  The 100 Zunndapps sound Great.  I heard about the down hill and rocky wash at Elsinore in detail.  You guys must have had a blast.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh