Jackpiner wiring

Started by Dwight Rudder, November 25, 2006, 08:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight Rudder

I have a Jackpiner that ran great before I removed the engine for some minor repair and I reinstalled it only to find I now have no spark.  It has a 14 screw wire junction box ( 2 rows of 7 ) and the wiring doesn't even come close to matching the wire diagram I have.  The Diagram I have uses a 20 hole junction box.   Any ideas ?  Thanks in advance.
Dwight

[email protected]

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

firstturn

Dwight,
  First of all did it run before with the 7/14 junction box?  First thing I would look for is a ground if you had the engine out of the frame.  I know you didn't paint the frame ( I am assuming this since you did't say you did), but I always take the bolts loose and put grease (electro grease) between the frame and the engine.  One other thing is if you had the ignition off be sure you have good conductivity fron the back ignition mount to the engine...in other word make sure it doesn't have some type of insulatin type lubricant between the mounting plate and the ignition...yes lubrcant can be an insulator.  Your good at this stuff.  Just stand back and look at it in the morning.  Let me know if I can help.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Dwight Rudder

Yes, it ran well before with the 7/14 junction box and I drew a diagram before I removed any wiring. ( Doesn't mean I did it right )
I will recheck again Monday ( it is at the KICKSTAND M/C Parts ).
Do you have a wiring diagram for use with the 7/14 box ?  My shop manual diagram only shows the MX wiring with the 7/14 box and the enduro wiring with the 10/20 box.  I have the handlebar switch on it right now but am willing to rewire and remove the switch like the race team did.  IF I HAVE A CORRECT WIRING DIAGRAM.
Thanks again,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

firstturn

Dwight,
  I don't have any diagrams except what came in the manual.  I guess I can set down and draw a diagram to get everything working with the 7/14 junction tray.  Electricity in electricity out.  I will try and look at the manual later today.  You will be riding soon.  Glad to see you on a Penton, although I like all vintage bikes[8D].

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

3putt

With a multimeter meter, you might wish to check the continuity of the terminal block 1st, and make sure it is completing the ciruit. Location in the block is not important, as it is only a central location for correct wire connection and ability to make the continuity testing easier in one location.  Good Luck !!   Nelson

pakala

Dwight,
 This link might help? http://tinyurl.com/fs7mu page 14 of 51 enduro wiring diagram.
         Paul(socal)

john durrill

Dwight,
 We worked with a 75 harness last night. The picture in the shop manual didn't quit
 match what was wired in the switches and terminal strips ( Head light has a terminal strip in it and the wires from the headlight switch has different colors than what was in the sketch).
The blue, black leads from the Motoplat run the ignition coil under the tank. Follow them to the coil. There may be a tag wire coming off the blue to the coil. That should go to the kill switch.
 If someone ran the Blue , Black wires to the 14 pin terminal strip , then to the coil , thats where you could have a bad connection or something amiss. If the coil wires go through the 14 pin terminal strip , I would by pass the strip , twist the wires together and see if you have spark.  As long as the blue, black go directly to the coil you should have spark if you had it before it came apart. The kill switch could be a problem but I know you already bypassed it. If the ground is a problem you can use an alligator clip lead run from the coil mount to the engine to add a good ground.
John D.

Dwight Rudder

Thanks everyone for your assistance.
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist

Dwight Rudder

Thanks for the help guys.  I found that my drawn diagram for my wiring was flawed and I had the blue tag wire from the coil (kill button wire) grounded to the Headlight. It should have been in the #4 hole instead of the #3 as my diagram showed. I undid the blue tag wire, got spark, Found that there was a loose screw on number 4 and put it there. Now I have spark and a kill button on the handlebar light switch.  I got it fired up and it runs like a scalded dawg !  Snatches the front wheel up in 3rd (I could only get it into 3rd in the parking lot, as I ran out of room ) .
Thanks again,
Dwight :D

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist