Al Born's V003

Started by cubfan1968, December 02, 2006, 02:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubfan1968

Who can tell me the story of the December calendar featured bike?

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

firstturn

Rod,
  There is a lot of History on this bike...I feel the most important thing is who owned it first and still ownes it now Al Born.  I will let others have some fun with this...but it was the first Penton sold.

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Dennis Jones

I had the pleasure of hearing Al himself tell a few of us at the Reunion Ride in Tulsa how he sold the bike and after a long, long search got it back. I could not even start to tell the whole story. Of special note is that along with the bike he got something even more valuble. This would make a great still keeping track story

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

OhioTed

I've also heard the story of Al's #003, whilst enjoying a very pleasant afternoon in the presence of the man himself, along with good friend Ollie Martin.  Location and recovery of the bike after having been out of his possession for many years came only as a result of Al's dilligence and dogged perseverence.  The history of #003, as well as numerous other wonderful stories from these two veteren riders was all captured on videotape.  Long term, POG's video-chronicalling of this interview, and others like it, will be compiled into a dvd.  Stay tuned.

cubfan1968

Come on guys, you telling me I need to wait for the movie?  :(

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

Dennis Jones

Rod, Trust me. As slow as I type there could be a movie out by the time I tried to type the story, this was a man on a mission and it is a long story with a fairy tale ending.
Speaking of fairy tales, the way I heard this is almost one. At the lunch break sunday of the Tulsa RR my friend Phil and I went back to our pit to find John Penton, Al Born, Carl Cranke and a couple other guys sitting on my trailer shooting the bull. At the time I had a steel tanker project on it so that may have been why thay choose to stop there. It is an hour I will never forget. It is a wonder I made it back in time to start on my minute.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

cubfan1968

Al Born called me today with the story of V003. It is a great story that all Penton members should hear. I hope Ted's video will be out soon.

The Penton group never ceases to amaze me. The kindness and consideration of the membership has no equal. I'm very proud to be a member of this group.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

OhioTed

Rod,  It's great that Al called you & talked about the story of his #003.  He has such an amazing ability to recall details.  I've been after him to let me write up some of his stories, but he feels they would be too boring!  I don't think anything could be farther from the truth.  Thanks for mentioning the video.  Speaking of which, the 3-dvd video set featuring Vintage Days 2005, as well as the opening of the AMA's Motocross America exhibit is "in the can" as they say.  Just a matter now of getting copies produced & offering them up to everyone.  I'll let you in on a secret, too - the next POG video will be "At Home With John Penton", featuring footage captured during an amazing day with Mr. Penton himself, in and around his home, with much of the original "Penton gang" featured as well.  We'll see about including a bonus feature of Al & some of his stories along with it.  Look for an update soon.

Ted G.

PS:  The Penton Owners Group wouldn't be anywhere without dedicated members, such as yourself.

Dennis Jones

Rod, I'm gald you got to here it first hand. What a story!

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones