Steel Tanker ID

Started by jj, October 09, 2001, 08:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj

Last Saturday must of been my lucky day. I finally found a Steel tank Six Day to my liking. I was told it's a '69, but the "V516" serial number and 20" chain guard make me question the year. Take a look and tell me what you think.

http://edit.photos.yahoo.com/bc/blluetick/lst?.dir=/Steel+tanker+1

John Slivka
John J Slivka

OUCWBOY

Took a look at your NEW Steel Tanker. Looks nice, but, here is what I see. A 68 Penton with a 69 Pipe and 69-71 Air breather. One note on the Air breather is I did not see a rubber boot connecting the sealed breather to the frame. Frame numbers indicate a 68, but that is not a sure rule.
By the way, where did you find it?
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Paul Danik

I am impressed!!  That is one really nice machine.  As far as the air breather is concerned your machine was built before the frame was set up to be a frame breather.  The very early Pentons had an air box that bolted to the frame and contained the aircleaner. One of the first production changes was too the "Husky style" aircleaner such as yours.  The next generation of frames was fitted to be "frame breathers" and could get the air from up under the tank.  A fitting to connect  a sealed aircleaner to the frame extended from the left side of the frame just below the seat and just above and slightly behind the air cleaner cover.  A special air cleaner cover would be installed that had a sealing ring and a fitting for connecting a small rubber tube from the cover to the frame.  When not in use the frame outlet was covered with a small rubber cap that had KTM on it.  That cap is believed to be the first item on a Penton that said KTM on it, a sure sign of things to come!! The NSU machines that John Penton had raced were frame breathers and apparenty he liked the idea enough to incorporate it onto the Penton. Again, nice machine and thank you for posting it for all of us to see. Paul

Kip Kern

Outstanding Find!

The bike is excellent and has a set of original 68 shocks with chain guard.  Is the gas cap a "screw off" or the "flip top"?  How about the rear hub?  4 or 6 bolt?  Very nice find!  This is a keeper!

Good Luck and congrats on the great find!

jj

I added a few more photos for your enjoyment.

I found the bike listed in Cycle Trader. It was located in Maryland near Budds Creek MX track.

The tank has a flip top cap and the rear hub has 4 bolts.

John Slivka
John J Slivka