Tire studding

Started by Gavin Housh, January 21, 2007, 11:12:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavin Housh

Being from the west we never stud our tires, but I have been wondering exactly how it is done. How long are the scews and what size are they? Do you use different screws for the front tire vs. the rear? Also what pattern should be used and how many studs is enough. Thanks, Gavin

Mike Stephenson

Gavin - that is the sort of question that you will get 20 different answers from 20 different people!  For me, I stud up tires strictly for goofing around winter trail riding - not ice racing.  I am sure the ice races have it much more down to a science than I do.  But here is what I do:

How done?  I use a cordless drill with the proper bit for the screw heads, a few bottles of my favorite adult beverage, a nice roaring fire in the woodstove out in the garage.  Set the clutch on the drill such it lets loose before the screws go in to far - just snugging the head up to the knob, not compressing into the knob.  Put bike up on stand, pull up a stool in front or behind the tire, rotate tire as you work your way around.  the best way I found though was when I told my teenage kids "Here are two cordless drills, a bunch of screws - have at it" - that method was rather enjoyable!

Length of screw varies (or should?) depending on the knob height they go into.  I think I generally have used 1/2"? just dont want the tip to poke through the inside!  Same screws front and rear.  Pattern - hmmm....I have read to put them closer to leading edge of knobs on rear... .  On front tire, generally 1 screw per knob - some I have done two screws in the center rows.  Rear tires, depending on size of knobs - center knobs 3 to 4 screws, then next row out 1 or 2 screws again depending on physical size of knob, then outermost knobs, one screw each.  On the center nobs with 3 or 4 screws, I generally use a sort of inverted "v" pattern such the opening of the "v" scoops in.  NO clue if that matters.  I have also read there is no sense in putting one screw immediately in front or behind another on the same knob - only the first one contacting ice will do anything for you. Again, not sure it really matters or not!  I really am not sure how many in total I have used per tire - never bothered to count!  Just a wild guess - 250 to 350?

Ice racers chime in here - you are the real experts on this topic!

Mike

Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!
Mike Stephenson
Atlanta, Michigan
Penton Newbie - thanks to Young Ted!

DKWRACER

Consider Jeff Fredette, in the favours, of an ice racer. Have turn marshalled at some of our local events sponsored by Harry's Roamers. Many, swear by his products............
http://www.frpoffroad.com/catalog/details.aspx?ProdID=54

Adios,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Rain Man

Funny, I started thinking about this question, and the first thing that came to mind is to make damm sure the ice is thick enough before you crank your  $20,000 souped up Nitro Pwered Harley Dragster across the lake  @ 145 hopefully + MPH!!:(
  I like cheap so I use those 7/16" hex head SS screws. 250 in each tire and I grind the pointed ends down, and the bigger the bore, I double up the screws in the big lugs.  15 bucks and you can do roundy rounds sideways all day long!! Worse problem with these is they come out by the handfuls in between heats, so bring plenty of spares.Thats the cheap quick way.
 The Trellaborgs are the good tires @ 5 bills a set. A real challenge to mount,(wear your mechanics gloves)
 The drag bikes have been putting the Ski dooo  Track picks down the middle from the inside out. woody's screws with all kinds of different denominations to chose from !! Gotta have the HP to turn those up though.
 Some of the stronger late model 450 4 strokes have been doing well, ya know getting wheelies and jumps with the Woody's picks installed in the rear.
  For casual trail riding those 7/16" screws work fine, and their cheap !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons