Like I Needed Another?

Started by Chakka, January 31, 2007, 11:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

Well I noticed on the message board that a Penton near my house was looking for a new home. I actually purchased bikes from Dave before so I went to take a look. We all know how those trips end up. A few hours later my workshop got a little more cramped and I was the proud owner of a 74' Harescrambler, serial no. 54409 77089. The bike is surprisingly original, like a time capsule from the mid 70's. I also noticed once it was under strong lights in my shop that it has a GEM reed valve. The bike runs so it should be the easiest restore I have done (I hope). It is also the first large bore bike I have owned. Photos are located here:

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/chakka141/1974%20Harescrambler/

Thanks - Chris

Lew Mayer

Congrats on your nice find. Looks like a good starting point and you saved another one. Have fun!

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Big Mac

Very nice! Always great to find one that was put out to pasture all together and untampered with, before parts got robbed off or cases filled with water.

If you pull the top end check out the piston's porting for the reed valve. Have found some where pistons were replaced and non-savvy owner didn't cut in piston windows. All details you'll need to know on piston setup for GEM is on the POG tech site.

250s set up right with reed added rip...you'll never go back.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Chakka

Thanks Jon,

When I take the motor out I will inspect the piston to see its done correctly. My 175 has the modified piston you speak of but the bike didn't have a reed valve when I bought it. I looked at photos of the bike from when it was posted on Ebay and bingo! It had a GEM in the photos. The guy must have taken it off after I won the bidding. Oh well, attention to details is important.

Chris

Gavin Housh

I didn't know that we had a POG tech site. Please tell me how to get there. Gavin