Powdercoat or Paint?

Started by PNWbinder, February 16, 2007, 09:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWbinder

Just a reminder to those who missed my last post.  I'm restoring my dad's 73 Six Day.  So here's my question:

I work for a metal finishing company and have access to powdercoating, chrome, zinc, and nickel plating.  I know I can match the silver frame paint, but my dad thinks I should be able to get the paint code and do it "the original color".  I want this to be a good restoration but how particular should I be?  When I searched this topic it seemed like many folks were finding a match color and using a spray can.  

Also, I figure I will re-chrome the wheels and anything else that has chrome, ie. kick starter, shifter, handle bars and zinc plate all the nuts and bolts.  I can have the hubs polished which according the Production Years part of this site is how they came. How polished were they?  Mirror finish or more of a grainy look?

Also, what kind of paint for the exhause pipe is recommended?  Powdercoat won't hold up to that kind of heat.  Someone I asked suggested black BBQ paint which doesn't sound right to me.  Maybe I can buy black exhaust paint in a spray can.  I can clean and strip the pipe down to bare metal at work.

Okay, that's more questions than I intended but it's too easy to get carried away.  

Any feedback on my plan so far would be appreciated.  
Mark Seelbinder
Brush Prairie, Washington

thrownchain

I've asked these same questions and got mixed reactions.
If you're going to ride it, spray paint is the prefered choice, it'e easier to touch up. Other than that, it's really personal preference.
As for the chrome, as long as the rims are round and nothing else is out of sorts, and you have access, by all means do it.
The polishing aspect, I'm not sure of, mine are a combination of bare metal and painted, so I have to figure out what belongs where.
On the exhaust, I'd go BBQ paint, just for ease of application. There are companies that can do a high temp coating like on auto headers, but you'd have do a little searching to see if it's feasable.
I've got a feeling alot of guys here would like to have the access to the metal finishes you have. And I'd say if you got it use it.
Good luck.

tofriedel

PNWbinder,

I have two 1972 125's, one 1972 JP, one 1977 GS250 and one 1981 KTM 495.  All of these bikes are stock and none of them have polished hubs.  The 1972's are not painted, but the 77 has black hubs & the 81 has silver hubs, both painted.

The hub castings are pretty smooth and could be polished easily, but the brake plates are fairly grainy and would take a lot of work on the 72's.

Others may different opinions and/or experience on this, but this is how my bikes were originally.

Tony
Tony

Dennis Jones

Duplicolor High Heat Ford Engine Black with ceramic is a very good pipe paint. It has just a hint of gray in it to look just right. Make sure to let it cure before firing up the bike and getting it muddy.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

wade195

PNWbinder

I agree with Mr throwchain and others it is a personal thing. With the input of several POG members I decided to paint my 74 Sixdays project. I media blasted all the pieces and used several coats of PJ1 gray primer and finished off with several coats of the PJ1 KTM silver gray. I am very pleased how it turned out so far. But thats just me.

I am still trying to make up my mind about my pipe. I have a friend who says he has a high temp powder coat he can use on the exhaust but I do not know yet? The BBQ paint is something I never thought about. Might be worth a try.

Keep the faith. There are great folks here that will share information. They have made the project I am currently doing much easier. Thanks POG.

Doug Wade

1974 Sixdays project

cubfan1968

I had my frame and pipe both powdercoated and really like the finish.

Just remember if you powdercoat mask off any areas to leave the bare metal where you need a good ground like the motor mounts and where the coil mounts.

Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)
Rod Whitman
Omaha, Nebraska
1972 Six Day (Rider)
1972 Six Day (Project)

linglewn

PNW,
As said many times, there are advantages/disadvantages to both paint and powder coating for the frame. I have used powder coating because it tends to cover rough areas left after sand blasting. I like the finish that it provides. There is a silver (star mist or something like that) that is very close to the original color.

I have painted and polished hubs on 72 and 73 JPs. I think the polishing looks more like original. With a little sanding and buffing the hubs and brake backing plates look really nice. Shiny but not like a mirror. Also, polishing the lower fork legs is a good idea.

For the exhaust I have used both Rustoleum High Temp black and Plasti-Kote Engine paint. They both seem to work fine. I have seen a ceramic coated Honda pipe but I didn't care for the finish. It had a "krinkle" look.

Obviously there are lots of choices. The main thing is to enjoy the effort. You are fortunate to have access to the coating and plating processes. Good luck.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

BobJones

Best stuff I use is PJ1 fast black. Most bike shops have it. 1 can usually does a couple of pipes. It makes them look factory. Also PJ1 satin black is perfect for engine cases & hubs. When I put it on engine cases I usually get them warm & it sticks great.

Bob Jones
Show-me state
74 Harescrambler,72 Jackpiner,69 6-Day

Bob Jones
Show-me state
(2)74 Harescramblers,72 Jackpiner,68/69 6-Day,73 Harescrambler.

binder,  I use PJ1 KTM Silver/Gray 1998 Epoxy Paint then pit on a good clear coat.  I've seen a lot of Pentons being a ex-dealer and it's hard to find two that or the same. About the same for the bike itself there not all alike, but thats what neat about Pentons, like a box of Cracker Jacks, you never know what you got? crazy Dave

Frosty

I've had good results with flat black heat paint.Works best on sand or media blasted bare metal.The trick to making it last is how you cure it.I like to run the bike for a few heat/cool down cycles lasting no more than a couple of minutes on the heat time.Let in cool for 5-10 minutes in between and you'll be happy with the results.I think the brand of paint I used was VHT 1500 rattle can type.It was around $6 a can.