MZ-B Ignitions & Lessons Learned

Started by Chakka, February 04, 2007, 11:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chakka

I thought I would post some of the lessons learned from trying to set the timing on my 125. Following the MZ=B instructions was no problem. My troubles began with the remarks to look for the chisel mark on the flywheel and stator plate and line them up. The stator plate had a nice score mark and it also colored with a red marker so it was easy to see. The flywheel on the other hand had only a red marker dot on the inner side of the wheel, no score mark. I assumed that I should line up the two red marks....BIG mistake. After a week of messing around and getting the same results, back firing, kick backs, a sputter here and there I was ready to put a Motoplat back on. Then I looked the flywheel over again. Covering the side of the wheel was a paper label with the part number marked on it. I had tried to remove it a few weeks before but it  was like pealing wallpaper off an unpainted wall. Only little pieces would tear away. I used a squirt of the stuff that removes vinyl decals off gas tanks and after a bit of work the decal was off and low and behold, right under it was a chisel mark. I reset the timing to those marks and first kick the bike was running. I realize I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but why would MZ-B place an un-removable decal over the all important chisel mark and then apply red dots to both stator and flywheel? Obviously an attempt to see if anyone would fall for their trick. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to save others from the same frustration I just went through.

Chris

Rain Man

Hey Chris, make sure you take notes down on how you did this !!  I got an MZB I installed on a 72 6 day and it runs  like a charm.  I forgot the specifics, but it was a challene, as you mentioned. to get it to go !!
  its always nice having a bright headlight, even at an idle !!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Chakka

I thought I would post some of the lessons learned from trying to set the timing on my 125. Following the MZ=B instructions was no problem. My troubles began with the remarks to look for the chisel mark on the flywheel and stator plate and line them up. The stator plate had a nice score mark and it also colored with a red marker so it was easy to see. The flywheel on the other hand had only a red marker dot on the inner side of the wheel, no score mark. I assumed that I should line up the two red marks....BIG mistake. After a week of messing around and getting the same results, back firing, kick backs, a sputter here and there I was ready to put a Motoplat back on. Then I looked the flywheel over again. Covering the side of the wheel was a paper label with the part number marked on it. I had tried to remove it a few weeks before but it  was like pealing wallpaper off an unpainted wall. Only little pieces would tear away. I used a squirt of the stuff that removes vinyl decals off gas tanks and after a bit of work the decal was off and low and behold, right under it was a chisel mark. I reset the timing to those marks and first kick the bike was running. I realize I am not the brightest bulb in the pack but why would MZ-B place an un-removable decal over the all important chisel mark and then apply red dots to both stator and flywheel? Obviously an attempt to see if anyone would fall for their trick. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to save others from the same frustration I just went through.

Chris

Hello Chris.When I got my first MZ-B some years ago,they had forgotten both marks to put on.Now that was e-mailing back and fort.
Today after having some 25 units installed it is a joke to do so,but at the very first time everything is NEW and you could go nuts to figure out what you may overlook.:D:D:D

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

pketchum

This is not to put down Chris nor Raymond's mechanical abilities so bear with me.  

I'm really,really challenged when it comes to all things electrical and was daunted by the prospect of installing my 1st MzB ignition on my KTM.  However, I persevered.  After finishing sometime after midnight I could not attempt to start the bike up in the garage for fear of reprisal from my lovely wife.

The next morning I tried and it didn't have spark - ARGHHHHH!  I thought, "This is why I hate all electrical things."  But, I poured over the documentation and quickly discovered where I'd gone wrong.  
Note:  White doesn't go to red, and red doesn't go to white - duh!  How could I have missed that?

Anyway, after reassembling the connecting wires it fired right up. My point being is if I can install a MzB ignition then anyone who can read English, and has a lick of common sense, should have no problem.

It took me about 2 hrs. on the first installation and I have a second ignition to install on my other KTM.  This one should be a snap to install and I hope to have it done in < 1 hr.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by pketchum

This is not to put down Chris nor Raymond's mechanical abilities so bear with me.  

I'm really,really challenged when it comes to all things electrical and was daunted by the prospect of installing my 1st MzB ignition on my KTM.  However, I persevered.  After finishing sometime after midnight I could not attempt to start the bike up in the garage for fear of reprisal from my lovely wife.

The next morning I tried and it didn't have spark - ARGHHHHH!  I thought, "This is why I hate all electrical things."  But, I poured over the documentation and quickly discovered where I'd gone wrong.  
Note:  White doesn't go to red, and red doesn't go to white - duh!  How could I have missed that?

Anyway, after reassembling the connecting wires it fired right up. My point being is if I can install a MzB ignition then anyone who can read English, and has a lick of common sense, should have no problem.

It took me about 2 hrs. on the first installation and I have a second ignition to install on my other KTM.  This one should be a snap to install and I hope to have it done in < 1 hr.

Phil

White on Red and Red on White,..eh,.????
But it was Midnight and in a dark cold garage,...
We forgive you,...:D[^]:D

Chakka

Hi Paul,
Your right of course and I took no offense to your comments. I will be first to admit I'm not a master mechanic. The install once I figured out where the actual chisel mark on the flywheel was located took about 30 mins. I would not hesitate to buy and install another MZ-B. My goal on each Penton I restore is to learn something new. Last winter I built a wheel jig and figured out that puzzle. Now I can lace and true a straight or conical hub in under an hour. This Winter's challenge is more daunting. A total rebuild on my KTM 175 engine. I have been reading over the manual, have my engine stand, all my tools, parts  and dial indicators. I will fumble through this task as well I am sure. But when I kick it over and run through all the gears successfully I will have mastered another aspect of this hobby I love so much.
Chris

OhioTed

Remember also, that if you are rebuilding a bike from the ground up, and have a nice, fresh paint job on the frame, you absolutely MUST grind some o' that new paint off a frame/case connecting point.  Dane Leimbach has stressed this repeatedly during tech discussions.  I learned this the hard way, and even resorted to running a separate ground wire on one bike.  Note, POG member Dave Sanders has an excellent Penton resto video put together.  While it's not a fancy dancy production, Dave's mechanical proficiency and insight is well represented.  There's a lot to be learned from his neat videos.  Contact him for more info.