Steel Tanker vs CMF

Started by MattyQ, March 03, 2007, 06:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattyQ

Ok , I am at a vintage race what would I rather been on a steel tanker or a CMF .  Can the five speed keep up?

Thanks ,

Matty Q

Matthew Quinlan

thrownchain

I would imagine it would depend on the race and the racer. I would also imagine that the sixth gear wasn't used a whole lot in most races. So unless the gearing was very different, I wouldn't see a distinct advantage.  [my 2 cents]

Rain Man

250 mc5

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

MattyQ

Rain Man  , so you like your 250 MC5 , tell me a little about them. i am new to all these different Pentons.  I owned a 1975 Suzuki RM250 growing up , what a rattle trap piece of junk !

Q

Matthew Quinlan

Rain Man

The 1976 penton 250 mc5 was the world class champion bike back in 1976. It had marzocchi shocks laid down in the rear (I believe 6" of travel) and 35mm Marzocchi forks in the front  with better than 6" of travel also. It had a 5 speed gear box, which I wont get into specifics here and was the Motocrosser to beat in 76.
 It had the new Mc 5 frame which was lighter and also allowed  a few more positions on the rear shocks.  Coupled with the lectron carburetor, these Pentons were unbeatable to the first turn !!
 I'm quite sure there are plenty more guys on this web site that can tell you much more about this bike. 1976 was the first year of the MC5 frame and.. for us old guys that need the suspension racing the Vintage class, a necessity today ;)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons