70 steeltanker and baby steps

Started by lksseven, February 11, 2007, 09:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lksseven

Quotequote:Originally posted by PNWbinder

Very nice job Larry.  I just started the tear down of my dad's 73 six day.  The quality of your project is what I'm striving for.  How did you get the motor to look so nice, steel wool?  And what made you plate the spokes in cadmium?  Forgive my ignorance but I was just going to replace the spokes (if possible) and re-chrome the wheels.  I work at a plating shop so chrome is no problem but we don't do cadmium therefore I don't know anything about it.  I could zinc plate the spokes easily enough in a barrel plater but chrome would be a different thing for spokes.  Enlighten me please.

Mark Seelbinder
Brush Prairie, Washington

Mark,  the guy at the coating shop talked me into cadmium instead of zinc - said the rust/weather resistance was better.  But zinc is great, too - most people do zinc, and no problems.  "Expense" was why I chose to cad coat the spokes instead of replace with new stainless steel spokes - I was having a bunch of hardware (bolts, nuts, etc) cad coated, and it cost me almost nothing to throw in 3 sets of spokes and nipples.  They look great.  As far as chroming the spokes ... I'm sure it would be an eye-catcher, but it might be a lot of bling.  Others' opinions here would be worth more than mine on that subject.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

lksseven

Hi guys,

A couple more pics of my Steeltanker project.  I'm kind of held up on my progress until I get my pipe from Circle F (long story short, I can't proceed with swing arm/rear shocks/rear wheel, fenders, etc until I get back the pipe heat shield), but I did remove the old Bosch points ignition, and installed the PVL ignition system this week.  More as it happens (by the way, the holes in the frame tab for the coil were too small for size M6 bolts - I bored them out a little bit with a Dremel tungsten cutter - that tab didn't want to give up any metal dust - made out of tough stuff ) ...

http://www.wordcom.com/penton/70steel/Ignition-PVL-StatorMotorInstalled.jpg
http://www.wordcom.com/penton/70steel/Ignition-PVL-CoilInstalled.jpg
http://www.wordcom.com/penton/70steel/EngineCase-Right-PaintedandInstalled.jpg

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

rob w

wade195

One word. WOW.

Doug Wade
Lavergne Tn

sixdazed

Thanks Bob-now officially motovated-just wishing for more spare time!
                                                    Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

slvrbrdfxr

Wow is right !! One bike for every day of the week and two for each weekend day !! Great pic Bob !! Thanks !!
Dave McCullough