Spring rates

Started by Bill Campbell, March 16, 2007, 03:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Campbell

Can anybody suggest the correct spring setup for my 73 125. I weigh about 150 lbs and at the moment don't go too fast on my trusty little sled. I would like to enjoy it more than I am at the moment and feel I need to sort out the rear suspension. I am running a pair of rebuilt Konis with 60/90 springs but feel I can improve the situation. Eventually I would like to purchase some newer shocks but am after a cheaper remedy at the moment. Cheers Bill

Mike Lenz

60/90 should be about right?  Feels too stiff or too soft?  maybe straight 60's for as light as you are? The Koni's should be pretty good.

Dwight Rudder

I agree that the rate sounds right for Koni shocks.  Be sure to not run too much preload.  You do want it to bottom lightly sometimes.  Works Performace shocks are the ultimate answer. BUT you want a straight rate spring and tell them you weigh 20lbs more than you really do. Adjust with preload for a plush ride.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

Bill Campbell

Thanks for the replies. Will get the shocks checked out. Also thinking about going to brass bushes in the swingarm. Bill