Replacement Front wheel / hub - Berkshire

Started by Ernie Phillips, May 21, 2007, 02:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

My '74 Berkshire project has a cracked front hub (mag.)  The front brakes were never up to par either so I'm looking for a suitable replacement.  I need a strong hub and powerful brake that is "period correct" for AHRMA Classic.  Suggestions?  Anybody have front wheel assembly for sale?

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

G Ellis

I have one give me a call @ 217 260 0237 Later Gary

Ernie Phillips

I wasn't very clear in my request.  I'm looking for a DIFFERENT front wheel assembly.  Has anybody converted to a Yamaha, Honda ... Husky front wheel?  Along time ago, I used a Yamaha 250 MX front wheel on my Maico .. worked pretty good.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

454MRW

I have a Yamaha YZ front wheel that was advertised as being used as a spare wheel for a Penton, but it doesn't have the brake assembly with it. The brake mating size is only slightly larger than the stock Penton diameter and not enough in my opinion to make any noticeable gain in braking ability, but if you want it, I would send it to you for the shipping charge only, once I remove the good Metzeler from the rim. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

sixdazed

Ernie,The Mettco 125 i'm slowly getting back together has a conical Yamaha wheel-looks like 77-79 yz,but maybe earlier.i'll look for part #'s inside the hub.Not for sale but maybe this will help you find the better set-up you are seeking.
                                       Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Ernie Phillips

Michael, Ric,  Are you guys happy with the front brake on these old Penton's.  I put new shoes on. I filed and fitted the shoes to the hub, cleaned and recleaned everything.  The front brake is not very good.  The feel is "spongy" too.  I am using a Terry cable and have read that this might be part of the problem.  Any tips on getting my front brake improved appreciated.  Thanks--

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

454MRW

Ernie,
I need stronger fork springs to take full advantage of the existing front brake capability on my 78 MX-6 250 as the front end dives drastically under more than about 2/3 braking. I slightly sanded high points which reduced the roughness on the shoes before I installed them and clamped the lever to the handle bars before tightening the axle, snugging the fork pinch bolts and the brake stay. I think it has excellent brakes even now after doing this before the reunion ride last October. I just got around to replacing the rear shoes and rear wheel bearings. They didn't change to the conical hub oh the front until 1979, so the front brakes should be the same as the earlier bikes. I did use NOS Penton/KTM shoes. If I ever considered needing even better brakes, I think that I would try the later model KTM dual pivot hubs. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

slvrbrdfxr

Ernie,
If you should opt to go with the Yamaha front wheel/hub I've got a 79 Yamaha IT175 wheel which I beleve is the same one used on the 79 YZ except it has a speedo drive. Only problem is the DID rim is cracked so you would have to re-lace it to another rim. I'd be glad to give it to you for the shipping cost. Maybe between my wheel and the one Mike W is offering you can make a usable one. Let me know.
Dave McCullough

G Ellis

If I was going to change the front wheel,I would put on a 79-83 front wheel from a KTM. I have used these on my bikes and they work great. Email me @ [email protected] and I will send you some photos. I have used this setup with good brakes for 4 years. Later Gary

Bamamarc

When I got my Six Day someone put a early RM front wheel on it. They welded a nut on the hub for the brake stay arm. It works pretty good. But I would like to find a whole wheel in silver to make it back to look stock. Were the 72's hubs aluminum or mag. Going to ride my 125 in the C.C.
Ernie are you going to Monster Mountian this weekend.

Marc From The South
72 Six Day
74 Harescrambler [Thanks Chicago Jerry]:)

Ernie Phillips

Marc,

We're going to Monster Mountain. Save us a parking spot.  We plan on arriving mid-morning on Sat . and will ride CC. The CC is in the afternoon isn't it?  Maybe ride MX and CC on Sunday.  My "Burnout" Berkshire project is pieces of several bikes.  The cracked hubs are mag. from '74.  I have no cracking issues with the Aluminum hubs other than not being satisfied with the performance.  See you at the races.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN