Ignition Buzz Box

Started by tofriedel, May 10, 2008, 12:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tofriedel

Years ago when everything I worked on had a point's ignition, I built a buzz box from a design that showed up in one of the motorcycle magazines.  If my memory is correct, it cost me less than $2 at Radio Shack for the components.  Now that I am again working with point ignition systems, I would like to build another buzz box.  Does anyone have the design and components list to build one of these little units?

I prefer the buzz box over the light, because I can hear better than I can see.

Tony
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
I remember that buzz box, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it took to make one. As a matter of fact, one shop I worked at had them in stock and sold them to customers for about $4.99, but that was back in 1971, and I have slept (alot) since then.

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

john durrill

Tony,
 They sell a buzz box on ebay every 2 weeks or so . It's usually listed under Penton among other brands.
 I would suggest building a points checker from a flashlight.
 We built one in 90 for my sons XR100 and  still use it today.
 You can use almost any flashlight. Ones that uses D or C cells work best. They can supply enough current for a long enough time.  You bypass the switch on the flash light with 2 alligator clip leads. One lead goes to ground the other to the wire that runs to the coil . The light will change in brightness when the points break.
 A 6V lantern type works well also and the switches are easier to get to.
You can use a Volt Ohm Meter. One with a meter movement not a LCD display works best . Set it on the lowest Ohms scale. Hook one lead to the coil wire the other to ground. You will see a reading of a low value,  and the needle will deflect from that value when the points open.
 Hope this helped,
 John D.

wildman

I used to build and sell buzz boxes at the Dirt Works, the cycle shop I worked at. I used a kit from Radio Shack made for a code practice ossilator (CPO)for Morse code. I don't know if anyone still sells anything like that. Now I use a flashlight from Snap-on that comes with a plug-in cord with two aligator clips sold as a continuity tester. Hope this helps, Dan

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125