Bing 54's

Started by phats, July 26, 2007, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phats

On stripping down & cleaning the carb on my newly brought project, ive come across a few parts which may need to be replaced: slide, bowl seal, needle and a clip which holds the cable/slide in.

I was wondering what the avaliablity was like on parts for carb's of this year (79')? Ive checked out the Bing website but it wasn't too helpfull with prices.etc

Would it be cheaper too replace the parts? Or just too buy a NOS carb ?

Thanks,
Chris.

brian kirby

You will get many opposing views on carbs. Bings are expensive to rapair, but they flow more than a Mikuni of the same size. Most people that switch to a Mikuni go a few mm bigger.

I have yet to buy a bike that had a good Bing (Can-Am, Penton, Maico) and in most cases you can buy a brand new Mikuni for less than rebuilding a Bing. My $.02, switch to a Mikuni.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

smkt342

You can get a new mikuni for under $100 for the 32 and 34mm mikuni.  I have them, let me know if I can help.

Keith

phats

Well, the BING im running at the moment is 36mm & i was told it's better too run a mikuni a few sizes bigger ?

brian kirby

Yes. If you have a 36mm Bing, put a 38mm Mikuni in its place.

Brian

Brian

phats

Well, any idea where i could locate a NOS 38mm Mikuni from ?

Chris.

Ron

Hi Guys,
If you happen onto "Pro-Flo" in your search for a new Mikuni, here's my experience.
I bought a Mikuni flanged rubber manifold it was about $20.00 not a big deal. They charged my credit card and I've been waiting for more than a month. When I call (3 times for me) I always get a recording to leave a message, but they haven't called back call back.
Fortunately it only cost me $20.00. I've heard of others who are out a lot more.
RonW

wade195

I bought a 30mm Mikuni for my 1974 125 Sixdays from Sudco racing in Cal. I paid for it by card and it arrived in 3 days. They made it to easy. I told them what it was going on and they pre jetted it for me. I will have to tell you later how close the jetting was.

Doug Wade

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by phats

Well, any idea where i could locate a NOS 38mm Mikuni from ?

Chris.

You dont have to buy NOS you can still buy one new from Mikuni. Call Sudco, or any motorcycle dealership that is a Parts Unlimited dealer (which is most of them) can order them too, also Keith sells them now, he might be able to get a 38mm for you.

Brian

Brian

smkt342

Yes, it's not hard to get the carbs to you guys at all. I've heard recent issues with Pro-Flo too and don't know what's going on with them but that is what gets me involved in these things.  We all need good suppliers and that includes me.  That's why I reproduce plastic parts, rubber parts, deal with Rotax parts and now Mikuni. I can get you a 38mm Mikuni for $109 new. Estimate about $7 shipping to your door priorty (2 day) mail. If I don't have something in stock then it takes me about 4 days to get it and 2-3 days to you.  Easy stuff. Let me know if I can help.

Keith Taylor
402-896-1809
[email protected]

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by smkt342

I can get you a 38mm Mikuni for $109 new.

Last time I checked with Bing (over a year ago) just a slide for my 32mm on the Can-Am was $68, to fix everything would have cost close to $150. I decided that $80  for a completely new Mikuni was the way to go. There is nothing wrong with a Bing in good working condition, and I believe folks that say they  work better on the top end than a Mikuni, but for my budget it was more cost effective to buy a new Mikuni.

Brian

Brian

smkt342

Yea, the 30-34mm carbs are really cheap.  A reason many go with them, not a cheap carb, but a cheap price, jets are way more reasonable than Bing too.  And hey, I don't have a problem with Bings at all, just not inexpensive like the mikuni.

Keith