Why Not Cross Country at Mid Ohio?

Started by jay cohen, July 17, 2007, 06:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jay cohen

I guess Teddy Landers could answer this question, but is it possible to have a cross country event at Mid Ohio in the future ?  What is their reason for not having one now ?

chicagojerry

i spoke to dave lamberth last year before his departure in regards to this. i think that its a shame that every other faction of ahrma is represented at vmd EXCEPT the CC guys, especially considering that mid-ohio is in the middle of penton/ harescramble country. but any way, dave stated to me that it is due to a commitment to the trials riders that they would not run a cc because of concerns of ruining some prime trials areas. having put on many enduro and H/S's over the years i'm relatively confident that we could do it without hurting the quality of a trials event there. i intend to look around there more next week to try to get a better feel for the property. but that doesn't mean that either the powers that be from either ahrma or mid-ohio would buy into it. but you will never know unless you try.  as a secondary option, i intend to contact a nearby (mansfield) off-road club to explore and offsite venue similar to what the flat track folks do. but again, you have to have the ahrma trustees buy into it if it is to be ahrma sanctioned.  teddy and myself had some of these same conversations a couple of weeks ago at binghamton NY. i hope that answers your questions, at least for now.
chi jer

jay cohen

Jerry, Thank you for your reply.  I ride the trials event each year at Mid Ohio and know the sections and areas they use.  If that's their excuse it's a lousy one.  The trials event also starts at 10 and is over by 2.  Let the trials start at 9, then run the cross country after it.

brian kirby

AHRMA events usually have the Vintage CC at 8:00, Post Vintage CC at 10:00 and Trials started by noon. No reason you couldnt do the CC races after Trials though.

I wont go to an event unless it has a CC race, which is why I didn't put Mid Ohio on my race schedule this year. It wont get on my schedule next year, or any year after that, until it gets a CC race.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

pketchum

I would ride the Mid-Ohio CC if they would have it as I'm sure many others would too.  I find it hard to believe the largest attended race of the year and they ignore a large faction of their membership.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

KTMKIDD

I'm a member at the Mansfield motorcycle club. We've talked about at meetings about doing a vintage harescramble. Anybody think this a good idea? Its a pretty good layout for vintage bikes.I was thinking about riding my 72' sixdays in the bomber class. Also some of the members have some great stories about the Penton family racing there.

06 KTM 200XCW
96 KTM 620RXC
72 Penton 125
01 Husky WR125
96 KTM 125SX
91 KTM 125GS
70 Penton Berkshire
70 Penton Six Days
72 Penton Six Days
17 KTM 250 SX
2012 Kid named Penton
02 Husky WR125

chicagojerry

hey ktm kid.  drop me a email off this message board. [email protected]
i've been putting on the HS at amherst meadowlarks for years and i ride a lot of the ahrma cc races. so i could give a pretty fair assesment of the property. i would love to be involved in bringing a CC to mid-ohio and your mansfield facility may work for that. hope to hear from you soon. going to VMD? i could talk to you there,
chi jer