Ollie Martin scores in Reliability Run

Started by Paul Danik, August 12, 2007, 06:41:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The Ohio Valley BSA Owners Club reliability run had a record 61 entries and was just under 70 miles in length. POG's Ollie Martin not only won the Vintage Lightweight class, he tied for the overall win with the tie breaker being a coin toss by event organizer Clark Francy. Ollie said this was his first trophy in motorcycle competition since 1971. Ollie rode his custom 125 Penton that he had on display at VMD.
John Borer and his daughter rode a NSU in the buddy class, the NSU is the same machine that Jim Borer, John's dad, rode in the Jackpine many years ago.
It was a great day and a great event.
Way to go Ollie....

Paul

OhioTed

Way to go, Ollie!  Friends, this is indeed a fun, fun event.  It was my 2nd year to ride the Reliability Run, and is one not to miss.  The Ohio Valley BSA meet is just a terrific little event, and the Reliability Run is a real highlight for us off-roaders.  I talked some more people into coming out and riding it this year, and they all loved it.    

As Paul described, the ride was just under 70 miles this year, and covers some amazing back roads and trails, all in a beautiful and scenic part of Ohio.  Lotsa big hills and decently challenging terrain.  

Any street-legal (looking) bike is welcome, but your best experience is aboard a vintage bike, as that's what the event is geared for.  Plus, it gives everyone a treat to see your old bike out there, doing what it was built for.  Bikes, such as John's NSU, Bruce Williams' Husky Auto, Al & Ollie Martin's custom Six-Day Pentons, POG-member Bill's (forgot your last name, partner - sorry)gorgeous Jackpiner, Paul Busic's neat, old PE175 Suzuki, and Paul Danik's '73 ISDT Six-Day, were just a blast to see lining up, and taking to the trails.  I also saw a Bultaco Alpina participating, and a Rokon, a Zundapp, a Ural sidecar rig, plus BSA's (of course) of numerous sizes and flavors.

Our gang took it totally non-seriously, and although we were started at separate, 1-minute intervals, waited for one another so we could all ride together.  This made for a fantastically fun ride.  Plus, I had the pleasure to spend quality trail-time in the company of some super-pro riders.  

For example, let there be no doubt about how Paul Danik earned a place on the American ISDT teams.  In the woods sections, the man simply disappears.  In fact, he even started messing with us by jetting way out in front, then "hiding", only to come roaring up from behind, grinning at us.  Mr. Paul Busic is also an absolute off-road rocket.  He is one of those riders who makes it look easy, and never puts a wheel out of place.  Plus, you've got to see Ollie & Al Martin buzzing those little 125's, to believe it.  They are fast and extremely competent riders.  

Clark Francy and his son (whose name I would need Paul to help me remember), are just about solely responsible for making this ride a reality.  Although we would hope that the Reliability Run continues to be a part of the bi-annual BSA meets, logistics and reality are sometimes tough obstacles.  So, don't miss out on your chance to take part.  Mark your calendars for June & Aug of '08, and check the OVBSAOC website for specifics dates.  Bring out that old enduro bike and have a ball!

A final thanks to Clark and the entire BSA group.  Yours is a terrific and fun event.  Everyone who attends really, really enjoys it.   The variety of bikes and people really contribute, and the "active" nature really makes it.  Seeing a bunch of bikes sitting around on display is one thing, but to see them running, in motion, riding the roads and trails in and around your beautiful facility is the best.  Thanks again for another great meet.          

Paul Danik

Clark Francy's son who helps with the run is Matt, it is neat to note that Matt uses a KTM to set up the event. POG member Bill Hanks rode the Jackpiner in the run on Sat.  

Bill Hanks and I set up a couple of machines along with the POG banner in yesterdays bike show at the Ohio Valley event. We picked up first and second in the competition class and drew a decent amount of attention to our favorite machines.

KTM sales rep Mark Hyde's father also rode the event on Saturday, it was a real pleasure to meet Mr. Hyde Sr.

Paul