AMA Magazine Coverage of VMD

Started by linglewn, September 09, 2007, 08:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

linglewn

The October edition of American Motorcyclist, the AMA monthly magazine, includes good coverage of this year's VMD at Mid-Ohio. Has anyone noticed that, on page 36, there is a photo of Ernie Phillips on his red Penton (number 50Y) doing battle with a Honda rider.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

checkcrew

i saw that pic. also, i hope Ernie can give us a blow-by-blow of this action, his stories are great, makes you feel like you are there, how about it Ernie ??

Mike Gallagher, Camden County, NJ. - 70 + 71, 125 Steel Tankers, 72 x 2, 73 x 2, 125-6 Day's, 73 Jackpiner, 74 1/2 Mint 400
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

brian kirby

Ernie was just here and my Uncle called to tell us about the picture. I'll tell you what I know about it. Ernie rode 50+ Int and Classic 125 Int at VMD. He was originally going to ride an open class Maico in 50+, but it had problems so he ended up riding his Penton 125. He only rode the first moto in 50+ and after a mid pack start he worked his was up a few places. Since that other guy is on an Elsinore 250 that picture has to be from his first 50+ moto. His Penton was probably the only bike smaller than 250cc in that race and he beat more than half of them.

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Ernie Phillips

Nelson, I didn't notice the photo as I looked over the mag. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.  The Honda, #375, appears to be the same bike Rick Johnson rode to Legends victory (page 38).  So, maybe the photographer knows #375.  I guess I was at the right place at the right time.

Short Story:  Brian is right about this being moto 1, Gate B of +50.  The large Maygo -- wouldn't, so I rode the one-eight liter Penton.  I was just going to ride around and use it as a practice session for Classic 125 which immediately followed this +50 moto.  All that went away when the gate dropped ... and that will be a Long Story -- to follow.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Ernie Phillips

Long Version:  The photo on page 36 of the October American Motorcyclist magazine is just a picture of a split second in time of what was a wonderful weekend at Mid-Ohio VMD.   The photo captures action in Race 15, Moto 1, Gate B of +50 Intermediate.  In this particular instance, I'm about to pass Honda #375.  (At least that's my story.  If you ask #375, he may indicate that he just passed me!)  Anyway, discussing the photo gives me another opportunity to re-live M-O.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDSSfgBoESmmAv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
source:  AMA Motorcyclist-October 2007

To have a better appreciation for the Mid-Ohio "experience", one needs to explore the events leading up to that click of the shudder.  We (son Christopher and I) departed Chattanooga, TN very early in the morning arriving at Mid-Ohio early afternoon on Thursday, July 26.  This was our first visit to Mid-Ohio VMD and we were both excited.  We set up on high ground in the off-road pits.  Since rain was forecast, I avoided the grassy low-lands, instead preferring the well drained gravel parking lot.  Next stop was the much anticipated first of many visits to Pentonville.  There I met Doug Wilford who delivered some excess inventory to me.  In exchange, I left him 3 engines to freshen up – thanks Doug!   We then proceeded to the AMA Museum for the Jeremy McGrath and Malcolm Smith dedication activities.
Arriving too late to be allowed to get in the autograph signing line we hung around outside and watched Jeremy McGrath unveil his "nac-nac"  statue.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDdVIuImpGeGlv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

We then proceeded into the museum and located where the Malcolm exhibit and ceremony was to take place.  I positioned myself front and center while I had Christopher go up the stairs so he could look down from above.  Take a look at page 47 of the AMA October issue and you'll see a photo insert, upper left - - that is the back of my gray head just below Mert Lawwill's hand  – how lucky can a guy get, not one but two photos in the mag.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDVQm8ZkF7Dqgv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
source AMA

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDUp1G93ZAeG2v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
Malcolm and Ms. Smith telling about work with Mexican children

But forget the photos!  I'm standing among giants ... heros of the "On Any Sunday" movie and stars of the dirt bike revolution of the early '70s.  I'm not reading this from a magazine, or newspaper or a history book or looking at old film clips, I am there!   The vintage scene is alive and well.  Ordinary guys like me (and you) can rub elbows with Legends!  Mid-Ohio VMD will be an annual affair for me.

While waiting for Malcolm ceremony to begin, I turn around and just behind me are other significant motorcyclists -   Don Jones (Gary's dad), Jimmy Weinert, and John DeSoto.  I introduce myself and just tell them what an honor it is to meet them.  I share with Mr. DeSoto that my son and I are going to race Saturday.  He indicates that he too will be racing and he adds, "... but just for fun."  Then he said something that stuck with me; "When you are at the starting line, remember who you are."  He did not elaborate further.  In my case, I took this to mean – "You are a middle-aged man, in not so good physical condition, with family responsibilities and obligations and that it was important to be able to show up for work on Monday ... so don't do anything stupid."  Ride within your limits and don't do anything stupid.   Don't do anything stupid ... kept resonating in my subconscious.  Thursday comes to a close.  Friday is spent roaming the Swap Meet with several visits to Pentonville.

http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDYh9ls2iluYfv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg
John Desoto & Marty Tripes?

Back to the photo:   Saturday is Race Day.  So here I am lined up at the gate at my first National VMX competition, not on the mighty 450 Maico, but on tiddler 125 Penton.  The Maico had died during practice, so I decided to ride the Penton in +50 as a warm-up for the important event – 125 Classic.   Why should I be nervous, it is just a warm-up.  I don't have anything to prove ... besides I'm on the small bore ... just having fun.  +50 Intermediate had 47 pre-entries and was divided into two Gates, A & B.  I was in Gate B and we had 17 riders at the start.  At the drop of the gate, Mr. Desoto's words of wisdom (Remember who you are ...) were forgotten.  I came out as hard as I could go, hoping to not be the rider in last place.  Exiting the first turn, #375 was in place 8, I was in 10th.  By studying VMX photos (motolenzphotos.com) it appears that by midpoint of Lap 1 #375 had moved up to 6th and I had dropped back a spot or two due to the bottle necks at the first two hump jumps.  It had rained hard Friday morning and this caused the track to become quite rutted.  These first sections were tight and you just had to stick your front wheel in there and hope to get through.  It reminded me of an Enduro where everybody bunches up at a tough spot, some making good decisions and some not.  My "good decision" was that I decided to just wait my turn and proceed through single file.   As the track opened up to the faster sections, I was able to wring everything out of that little 125 ...  I got pulled but not passed.  As the nerves relaxed and I settled in to a race pace, I sensed that the riders in front of me came out of the corners very hard but shut off way too early going in.  Could I pass these big bikes going into the corner and then hold them off down the straights?

What the lil' Penton gives up in acceleration, it makes up with agility and confidence inspiring cornering.  The bike sticks ... and is able to change direction ... and becomes an extension of the rider and when you're "on," a nice rhythm develops.  The new Works Performance shocks keep the bike tracking straight and true, the rear wheel on the ground and hooked-up.  The 13/60 gearing is perfect with just the right cog to keep the motor singing.  All I need to do is make good choices (don't do anything stupid ...) to move up.  In order to pass, I just hold it on a tad longer going into the turns and am able to slip by.   I'm not blowing by these riders.  I'm just squeaking by going into the corner but making a clean and safe advance.  It's exhilarating, it's addicting!    I move up one spot then another ...  the Honda #375 is next.  I follow him through the grass switch backs paralleling and behind the start gate area.  I could be quicker through this section but can't get around.  No way to squeeze by.  We come out of the grass onto the dirt patch approaching the finish line in a big sweeping right hander with a decreasing radius.  The quarter-liter Honda horsepower is of no use here.  Neither is that stretched out front end with its skiddish feel. Conversely, the lil' Penton is planted and precise.  I'm flat out in 4th gear and confident the bike will go where I direct it.  I'm gunning for a pass on the outside.  As the Honda hangs tough on the inside but unable to apply power, the Penton pulls up (photo), pulls even, then passes the unsuspecting rider.  Oh yeah, it does feel good!   And, when you get to do it the long way round ... even better.  

Who is the rider of Honda #375?  Looking at the AHRMA results page reveals that it is John Gott who ended up going 8-6 and finished 6th overall.  (I went 5–DNS for a big goose egg overall.)  Looking at the AHRMA VMX series point totals indicates that Mr. Gott is in a tie for 4th place in +50 Intermediate.  Congratulations to him for a fine race and good season.  And thanks for loaning your bike to Rick Johnson because I think that act of generosity got both us in the AMA Motorcyclist magazine.  Also, thanks to John DeSoto for giving me such good advise.  I promise to apply those words of wisdom ... that is, until the gate drops.  Lastly, thank you POG members for making all this possible – a forum to exchange ideas and information, parts resources, expertise, VMD exhibit and hospitality, but most of all  - friendship.  

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

chuck

Ernie,

Great reacap of Ohio. Small world. I too was in the 250B intermediate class and the 125 Classic. I thought the back to back motos would be tough but it ended up not being so bad. Of course they shortened the second moto to 3 laps. I had planned to ride my new/old 250 Hare Scrambles but the restoration process took longer than expected so I rode my tusty Elsinore. Great bike, but I was looking forward to the maiden ride on the Penton. My 125 Penton performed great in the first 125 Classic moto but I had some bad luck in the second moto. All in all a great day.

The day at the Museum was amazing. I got there at 10:00am and ended up staying all day through the end of the Malcolm Smith Exhibit.  Hob-knobbing with the boys from On Any Sunday was a day I will never forget. Malcolm Smith, Mert Lawell, Bruce Brown, Dave Aldana and all the others were very approachable and I believe they had a great time as well.

I plan on taking both Pentons to Barber in October. Hope to see you there.

Chuck

Chuck,

72 125 Six Days
74 250 Hare Scrambles
74 250 Maico
73 250 Honda Elsinore
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

Ernie Phillips

Hey Chuck,

Speak for yourself, those back-to-back motos killed me :(.  I was sucking wind so bad after moto 1 of +50  ... that is my motovation for getting in shape.  I don't want to be like that anymore ... so I've been working out a little and doing some riding.

I looked at M-O results and photos -- #702 - Now I know who your are.  Congrats on a good race.   I'll be at Barber.  See you there!

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

chuck

Ernie,

You must not have been too tired. You kick butt in the second moto.

It could of been worse being the end of July. It wasn't that hot. Being from North Carolina, it was somewhat refreshing.

See you at Barber.

Chuck,

72 125 Six Days
74 250 Hare Scrambles
74 250 Maico
73 250 Honda Elsinore
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel