Craig's List Penton

Started by Mick Milakovic, September 24, 2007, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All,

I wish I could get this one, but I just can't do it right now.  An early '70s toaster tank six day bike, the ad said 99% complete for $400.  I talked with the gentleman tonight and he said he's had it for 12 years, and he poured oil down the cylinder when he got it keep it from getting worse.  Needs piston and rings and comes with an extra parts motor and 3 extra pipes, one of which is a down pipe.  He's located 2 hours south of Kansas City, Missouri and his phone number is 620-638-4465. Good luck,

Mick

Mick

paul

Mick,  Still waiting on pics, by 6 p.m. you were about the 20th call in line.$400 dont buy much nowdays but I was hoping to get a bottom end outta the deal and some useable stuff.. cause the bike I bought that was "rebuilt" turned out to have a crappy bottom end.. I am sure one of the KC mob will beat me there cause I am a ways away. Good lookin out.TTP

Ernie Phillips

Mick,  Thanks for the heads-up.  I talked to owner and we have verbal deal - waiting on photos.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mick Milakovic

Mick

AndyL

Hi guys,
I went and looked at it at about 9am on Tuesday.  I guess I expected more from his ad and my conversation with him on the phone.

It is a nov of 71 frame set up for through the frame style pipe (jackpiner style).  The rolling chassis is complete but pretty worn.  Wheels might clean up for a racer or rider.  No lights plastic fenders but they look correct. Fork tubes have some rust in the seal travel area.  Rear shocks are junk.  Seat cover is very brittle but foam ok and seat pan is good.

Looks like a Bosch ignition, not motoplat.  no coil.  On crank is junk and the crank in the assembled bottom end might be saved but if felt a bit loose.  Motor cover is stamped 6A.

I like Pentons and the Sachs motors, but for what I was looking for it was too much and he wouldnt move on the price.  

Oh and on the pipes, one looked like a true Penton down pipe, a second looks similar but had a silencer added on and the other two dont fit Pentons

Ernie, if you are interested in an Yam enduro, the guy had an 83 XT250 complete (lights, fenders, cables, levers, pipe and keys, title too) but the motor was out of it and apart, oil pump failed on it and it needs a complete rebuild.  He wanted $150 for it but I passed on it as well (I dont need a 4 stroke project).

If you want to ask some specific questions about the Penton, shoot me an email and I can call you.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
1975 Jackpiner
1970 Steeltanker
83 YZ 100 and 250
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

paul

Mick,  Still waiting on pics, by 6 p.m. you were about the 20th call in line.$400 dont buy much nowdays but I was hoping to get a bottom end outta the deal and some useable stuff.. cause the bike I bought that was "rebuilt" turned out to have a crappy bottom end.. I am sure one of the KC mob will beat me there cause I am a ways away. Good lookin out.TTP

Ernie Phillips

Mick,  Thanks for the heads-up.  I talked to owner and we have verbal deal - waiting on photos.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mick Milakovic

Mick

AndyL

Hi guys,
I went and looked at it at about 9am on Tuesday.  I guess I expected more from his ad and my conversation with him on the phone.

It is a nov of 71 frame set up for through the frame style pipe (jackpiner style).  The rolling chassis is complete but pretty worn.  Wheels might clean up for a racer or rider.  No lights plastic fenders but they look correct. Fork tubes have some rust in the seal travel area.  Rear shocks are junk.  Seat cover is very brittle but foam ok and seat pan is good.

Looks like a Bosch ignition, not motoplat.  no coil.  On crank is junk and the crank in the assembled bottom end might be saved but if felt a bit loose.  Motor cover is stamped 6A.

I like Pentons and the Sachs motors, but for what I was looking for it was too much and he wouldnt move on the price.  

Oh and on the pipes, one looked like a true Penton down pipe, a second looks similar but had a silencer added on and the other two dont fit Pentons

Ernie, if you are interested in an Yam enduro, the guy had an 83 XT250 complete (lights, fenders, cables, levers, pipe and keys, title too) but the motor was out of it and apart, oil pump failed on it and it needs a complete rebuild.  He wanted $150 for it but I passed on it as well (I dont need a 4 stroke project).

If you want to ask some specific questions about the Penton, shoot me an email and I can call you.

Andy
#14u MOVMX and AHRMA
1975 Jackpiner
1970 Steeltanker
83 YZ 100 and 250
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Ernie Phillips

Andy, Thanks for the info.  The photos never tell the whole story. For my purposes, it will serve as a parts bike / winter project.  Will you be at RR in New Blaine?

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

pketchum

No, "Lapper" Lippert won't be attending the Reunion Ride although its practically in his own back yard (~5.5 hrs due south).  I've been trying to get him to come ride with us for years.  The Reunion Ride ALWAYS falls on his wedding anniversary and his wonderful wife Michelle thinks that's more important than another motorcycle event.

I'm coming!  Surely, that more than makes up for his absence.  Or Ernie, were you looking for someone else to use as your berm in the corners? <grin>

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

brian kirby

Phast Phil,

If you dont want people to use you as a berm, then you should not park right in the middle of the grass track!

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian