Mikuni carb conversion questions for 73 125

Started by sdm, February 13, 2005, 10:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

Hi Ernie,
If you look close at the pics of my bike you can see a aluminum block that is welded to the cylinder and then bored out to 30mm.
It uses a Mikuni rubber manifold. It was that way when I bought the bike, but its a neat set up.
The rubber manifold is #VM-34-200.
Unless your going to bore the intake on your cylinder, I'd stay with the 28mm. The 28mm probably works better on a stock cylinder.
The stock boot fits the back of the carb, but I had to cut a ring off the large end and then use a hair dryer to stretch it back on the airbox.
RonW

Ernie Phillips

I searched the POG on Mikuni jetting and results can be seen at link  below.

http://pictures.aol.com/ap/singleImage.do?pid=c060XSuUTqrrxPgwkZuYlTOlDXjmtGxpl*y5v4xQp5Fd3Ig%3D

On Christopher's 6B with 28mm Mikuni, we went down to 165 main from 180 and we are now good to go.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

chuck

170 to 270 on the main jet. How is that possible?

Chuck,

72 125 Six Days
74 250 Hare Scrambles
74 250 Maico
73 250 Honda Elsinore
72 125 Six Days
72 100 Berkshire
74 250 Hare Scrambles
72 Wassel

Ernie Phillips

Chuck,

I just tabulated the results of the "search."  It is intended to be an aid for someone jetting their carb to get in the "ballpark."  There does seem to be a very wide spread of main jets on the 30mm.  Donnie S and RonW use 170/180 in the 30mm, so that is what I would use as a starting point.  There are just so many variables; state of engine tune, altitude, compression ratio, pipe ... use it as a guide.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN