Ohlins Shocks

Started by Bob Seymour, June 26, 2007, 10:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Seymour

Is there any in house expertise amoung the group for getting a pair of remote resevoir Ohlins shocks rebuilt? I'd like to get the set on my 79 KTM 420 gone thru and freshened up. I'd like to also have them re-sprung for my weight. I am aware of the services offered thru the Husky Club and may go that route, but was hoping to see if there was a resource here. I seem to recall also talking to a regional Ohlins rep about getting a set serviced and  rebuilt while at Mid-Ohio at there factory support and service trailer. I just cant remember who it was I spoke to or if this is available. This was actually prior to VMD 06. Can some of you guys recommend a rebuild shop or two that you had a good experience with and what the costs range was?
                                             Thanks, Bob

G Ellis

Bob give me a call. Gary

John E

If Gary's idea doesn't work out, Noleens in CA made my '81 250 perfect for me. If only the Marzocchi forks were as good!

je

tofriedel

Bob,

Gary is a good source.  Husky Club (Greg) does first class work here in the east.  I had a set done a couple of years ago, they came back looking like new.  Another friend of mine sends all of his Macio restorations to Greg.  Not cheap, but done right.

Good luck

Tony
Tony

thrownchain

I talked to an OHLINS rep at Broome-Tioga. Heres his contact info:
Steve Marpes  tel;828-692-4525 xt 307
             cell 828-243-3520
              Fax 828-692-0595
              web: [email protected]

Hopefully he can answer your questions.

Bob Seymour

Dan,
Thanks for the info. Your right on the money. I had a phone conversation on Friday morning with the Ohlins USA guys and they indicated Steve (who they said was attending a vintage racing event in New York)is the man for vintage shock service and rebuilds. The costs for parts and service work that they quoted me seemed a little more realistic to. I plan on talking to Steve soon and sending two pair out for a freshening up. I'll keep everyone apprised as to the outcome. Again, thanks to all you guys for your input.
                                                       Bob

tlanders

Because of Kent Knudson and his recommendation of Ohlins, I am now up to four sets of Ohlins and just ordered my fifth from Steve at Broome-Tioga. Steve has been going to all the AHRMA national races and does good work. He rebuilt two sets for me last winter.

Teddy

jon

What's a rebuild normally run for Ohlins. Ohlins vs Works Performance shock's same or is ne better? Thanks

tlanders

Depends on what needs to be done. Just call Steve Marpes and he can answer both questions except one of them will be REALLY biased!!!!

teddy

jon

Gary do you rebuild Works Performance shocks. I have a set on my 420 that need rebuilding. Thanks Jon

G Ellis

Jon know I don't but Craig Hayes at Keytime Motorsports tell him Gary sent you. Phone number 1 608 378 4290 Later Gary

pketchum

Quotequote:Originally posted by jon

What's a rebuild normally run for Ohlins. Ohlins vs Works Performance shock's same or is ne better? Thanks

Ohlins are supposed to be the pinnacle of rear suspension.  I've installed Works Performance shocks on three of my Hodaka's and one of my KTM's.  I'll get a chance this coming weekend to compare BRAND NEW Ohlins on an identical KTM to the other one. These were built by Craig Comotofsky of the Husky Club.  They're quite a bit more expensive than the Works shocks; hopefully they will be worth it.

I spoke with an Ohlins rep at Mid-Ohio a few years ago.  He told me all about how Ohlins were better than Works Performance.  Unfortunately, most of his technospeak was over my head.  However, I did walk away impressed with his knowledge and ability to convince me that I should look into them soon.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

chicagojerry

i've tried progressives, works, and ohlins on identical bikes. ohlins far and away are worth the extra $$.  no comparison. and i was very sceptical about the how much better they could be when i bought my first set. i have bought 4 sets now. steve can rebuild them right at the track and he is at a lot of the ahrma natl's
chi jer

brian kirby

Jerry and I talked about shocks at Diamond Dons and he said the Ohlins are worth the extra money. My problem is I have 5-6 bikes to buy shocks for and at $250-300 per pair more I just cant justify the extra cost. I might later pop for a pair for my primary bike, but I dont see me buying more than one or two pairs. Also Jerry said he actually liked the action of the Progressives better than Works, but they didnt last very long. Maybe Jerry could elaborate on that since he has used all three shocks?

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

thrownchain

Guys are talking shocks over on the race board, so I thought I better bring this back up, as it has the contact onfo for the Ohlins rep.