Barber Vintage 2007 Cross Country Recap

Started by Ernie Phillips, October 23, 2007, 03:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie Phillips

Barber Vintage is an absolute fantastic event with road racing, vintage MX, Cross Country and Trials competition in addition to a world class museum.  Plus there is a nice swap meet going on concurrently.  

The Cross Country race was in one word: TIGHT. Typical of a southeastern enduro, the course was run up and down hills while twisting through tall pines and bushy oaks.  If you strayed off course there were plenty of vines dangling ready to catch you under the chin and yank you off the bike.  The perfect bike for this type event is the light weight dirt bike made famous by the Penton brand.  Lucky me, that is what I rode – a little Berkshire with a perky 5A motor.  My son, Christopher, tried to ride his peppy Six Day 6B but ignition woes did him in.

The start of the CC was about ½ mile from the pit area and just getting there was a challenge.  Several riders had to make a second run at the hill just past the spill-way.  The starting areas was too narrow to get all riders properly staged, so instead of starting Expert, Intermediate, Novice in that order, the competitors were lined up by bike classes.  My group, Classic, started in row 6.  Each group was started approximately 30-60 seconds apart.  At the drop of the flag, Christopher was first out of the hole, followed by Marc Hodge on a Six Day.  I was in third after deciding that a bump start was my best option.  I squeezed by Marc as we entered the woods.  So off we go.  Christopher, Ernie, Marc – Penton, Penton, Penton.  Since we were in tight woods, I wasn't too worried about Marc getting by because there was no room unless I made a mistake.  Therefore, I focused on hanging on to Christopher's tail.  He was riding smartly.  As his dad, I was proud of his restraint in riding smooth and in control.  Did he know I was behind him?  At a few places I thought I could go faster if I was in front but I just stuck with him and waited.  It didn't take long.  His bike lost power and as he pulled over I just shrugged and nodded good-bye.  What should I do?  He wasn't hurt.  He wasn't in danger.  So I left him.  After all, hopefully I would be back lap after lap to check on him.

I was in front now and because of the staged started order, I had clear sailing.  Hammer down!  Gas it, brake, turn, gas, brake, turn ... climb across hill dodging roots and rocks that were there to dethrone you.  I clicked off my fastest lap.  As I passed Christopher on Lap 2, I saw him bent over his rig working on it.  Good boy, I thought.  Now I was coming up on slower riders and needed to pass.  This was not easy.  Most gentlemen riders will pull over at first opportunity when a clearly quicker rider comes upon them.  But, as you well know, some guys are pure jerks and will not give an inch.  So, you push in there and yell and they eventually make a mistake and you get by ... but you have lost valuable time.  Lap 2 was my slowest.

As I passed Christopher on lap 3, he had a helper working on his bike ... so there was hope and I felt better ... he was no longer in the deep woods by himself.  Lap 3 and Lap 4 were uneventful.  I did get to pass first timer, Arthur "Bug" Hart (my cousin) and my brother (Wendell "Fudd") and it was good to know that they were "managing' to get along.  Lap 5, I encountered Mr. Landers.  I was a little quicker but he was motoring right along.  Do I give Mr. Lander's a "Hooty-Whooo" yell and hope he moves over?   Never!  I was taught to respect my elders.   We rolled along for awhile and when his mighty Penton got a little jumpy under hard acceleration (actually, the bike appeared to jump full lock, side-to-side) and as he fought to gather it was back in, he was too hard on the rear binder and slid past the next turn.  I eased by, you know, respecting my elders.

I was hopping to see a white flag as I went through the scoring tent at the beginning of Lap 6, but, I got none!   I am feeling pretty good and ride on expecting to have to do at least two more laps.  Glad I've been doing my Hindu Squats.   I come up on an Ossa ridden by first timer Jeff Hart.  Jeff is Bug's son.  I'm thinking, "I need to slip by Jeff for family bragging rights."  But before I can pounce, I hear a four stroke closing on me ... and he is closing fast.  It is Dave Lambreth on his hot rod SL 125 (actually 212cc).  I knew he was good and he did lay out the course, so if anyone was going to pass me, he would be the favorite.  I pull over and let him by but try to hang with him and learn from a pro.  As Dave blows by Jeff, I slip by too (unnoticed I hope).  I'm really going now trying to ride with Dave.  He steadly pulls away and I loose contact with him but in the process I loose Jeff also.  I'm just riding along when all of the sudden I hear another bike coming up from behind.  It's Jeff.  Dang!   I gotta go now so the pace is ratcheted up.  I get a little wild.  Jeff is right behind and I don't like it.  I get a little wild again and almost punch a tree.  I decide it is best to not crash trying to stay in front and wave Jeff by.  Whew!   Jeff and I finish together and I am surprised to see the checkered flag.  Because Dave was the first rider to finish in over one hour and he lapped me, he did 7 laps, and I only had to do 6.

I won my class.  Marc Hodge finished a strong second.  I'm pleased because earlier this summer, Marc kicked my butt twice at the Monster Mountain CC.  Did I mention the racers edge:  Hindu Squats!  Christopher's problem turned out to be a blown ignition.  I had to tow him in.  He needs a new mechanic.  And, New Blaine ISDT RR is just a few day away.

And, as always, a special thanks to Teddy Landers and his crew of volunteers for doing the scoring!

Now, let's hear your race experience.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN