home page photo

Started by chicagojerry, November 02, 2007, 03:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hey al, get off that telephone pole!:D    chi jer

brian kirby

From the story we heard at the Reunion Ride banquet about Al, it sounds like half the country thinks he is John anyway. :)

Brian

'72 Six Day (on loan from Ernie P.)
Brian

Rain Man

I'm glad to see the boys from Maine arent the only ones that still wear flannel shirts !!
 nice pic

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Paul Danik

Thanks to Ernie Phillips for the great shot of John Penton and his occasional "stunt double" Al Born. I have been with Al on numerous occasions when folks would stop him and ask for a picture or an autograph, or just want to thank him for all that he has done over the years, all along thinking that he was John Penton.

Al has also been confused with another great motorcycle racer.  Back in 2000 while attending Vintage Motorcycle Days west at Sears Point when Penton was the Featured Marque and John Penton was the Grand Marshall.  Al, Tom Penton and I attended the AHRMA flat track races, as the evenings races drew to a close, Al and Tom started to walk out the aisle ahead of me.  A lady tapped me on the shoulder from behind and I turned to her, she pointed to Al and excitedly asked, "IS THAT DICK MANN?"

Again, thanks Ernie for the great shot, hope to see you and your son Chris on your Pentons again soon.

Paul

Young Ted

So, which one is John?

Young Ted

Big Mac

My JP story: My first ISDTR and first venture to the Midwest was '02, in MO. I was very excited to see some famous offroad legends in person. I'd just read the John Penton book and hoped he'd be there. At the Friday night impound, John was visiting in the pits and my more experienced riding partner pointed him out. I was too shy to say Hi or introduce myself.

After great riding that Saturday, I took a seat at the Banquet and was lucky enough to have John and Jack P. sit at the table right behind me. I got to meet them both, chat some and got a photo with John. I tried to be calm and suppress being star-struck.

Sunday was beautiful sunny woods riding and I was one with my great-running bike. As the pits drew near, I saw the first trail-side spectators ahead: There was John and Al Born, camera in hand, clapping and waving riders on as we passed! Unbelievable, talk about reversed roles! The feeling of finishing the event with these two legends "spectating" as I raced by was so ironic and surprising--unforgettable.

Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

Knute

Young Ted,

I think he's the guy in the yellow:).

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Knute

Young Ted,

I think he's the guy in the yellow:).

Kent

Noooo,..this here must be John????

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
2 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 77
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 77
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

dkwkid

I think they are hiding from Ted Lapadakis after hiring Ted's secretary to steal tuning secrets from Tom Ruddy.