Vintage Iron Championships in SoCal

Started by tooclose racing, November 10, 2007, 10:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tooclose racing

Does anybody know where to find the results for this event? It was held this last weekend.  The Vintage Iron website has some photos of racing and bikes, but I didn't see any write-ups.  Just wanted to see if any Pentons showed up to kick some....

I thought Victor Monz had mentioned that Bruce McDougal might ride  a Penton at this race and I thought that was HUGE (remember that I am an impressionable new guy around here).  BTW - if anyone can point to a previous message board discussion about the west coast Penton racing scene (wasn't Mr. McDougal a big part of this before the Japanese "hot-rods" showed up in '74?) or has pictures of what his prepped bikes looked like..I'd love to see them.

Some of the VI web site moto pictures were provided by a a new magazine..."Retro Moto".  Anybody heard of it?  Not sure if one has even been printed yet.  I'm going to mail an inquiry off to "[email protected]" and find out.

Thanks for a reply...

socalmx

Mettco Pentons ruled Ascot, Indian Dunes, Lions Raceway, and Saddleback in the early 70's. There is a lot of information on the site regarding their activities.

tooclose racing

Thanks, socalmx.  I'm still getting used to the "seach" feature on this message board.  Hmmm..searching on "Mettco" only returned 4 pages of threads! Hah! Buy me a clue.  I am all caught up now on the Mettco bikes, their riders, their owner and the SoCal scene back in the day. Wonderful reading for this New Kid On The Block.  Oh - let's not forget that Mettco Penton:

http://racing.gp-photography.de/displayimage.php?album=122&pos=56

Can someone explain the barrel/head? Is that just a paint job with the ends polished or is that later KTM hardware on a Sachs lower end?

socalmx

They just painted the engines black. At the time Mettco was winning at Ascot, Tim Hart (Maico and later team Yamaha rider) raced a DKW for Competition Services in San Pedro. The goal was to break the hold that the Pentons had on winning all the time.

bildough

Bob;

feel free to go to this website. it is the website for PGM who own that mettco and it has other pictures of it as well as some history on it. There are also many other pentons on the website to enjoy.

http://www.pelicanguanomotorsports.com/

Bill cappel

tooclose racing

Been there, done that.  It was where I saw my first Mettco!  A beautiful thing. A beautiful website.

Thanks, Bill.

Marc Biro

The head and cylinder on the Mettco 'replica' bike are powder coated wrinkle black and are stock Sachs parts. The side cases are also wrinkle black.

marc biro
Mettco 'replica' builder

Marc Biro

Correction. The head and cylinder were powder coated a smooth low gloss black and the fins were taken down to the aluminum with a DA sander.

marc

tooclose racing

Thanks, Marc - I thought they might be "touching up" the fin ends to emulate the KTM engines.  Just Plain Neat. Maybe when I get a second Six Day in the stable, I'll give it the "Mettco" treatment.

BTW - it's kinda funny that I'm even on the internet tonight. We don't have our wireless router (won't bore you the details), but I fired up the laptop anyway to check out a long-missing flash drive that suddenly surfaced as I was trying to find some gift-wrapping tape for those last few stocking stuffers.  Bottom line is that the laptop tells me that there are two wireless networks available!  Wow - I'm guessing my neighbors have "upgraded" recently.  Anyway...I'm in!

And that gives me the opportunity to wish a Merry Christmas to all of the wonderful members on this message board!!